MY Pioneer P60 SAGA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlNAlberta

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just like to start by thanking everyone on this site for their wealth of knowledge and little tricks of the trade that have helped me out a ton!

So I am trying to perfect my P60 Pioneer now that I have touched up the paint and got my new 32” Cannon bar, new clutch, rings, and a bunch of odds and ends. Looks good and seemed to run ok in my shop till I got out to test it. My intention was to make a few cuts then set up the carb properly, but once I dug it into a nice big spruce it would die out which after being able to make a cut at ½ throttle would lead me to believe the carb is off.

I am at 4600 feet. I seated both low and high and backed them out 1 full turn, and the only way I could get the saw to run was 4 full turns out on both. Once I got things running, best low end response no matter where I set high or idle was 6 turns out on the low needle setting. I have tuned carbs before and have had lots of success, but not with this guy. It will not idle well either and the low jet does not effect the idle no mater how many turns in or out.

It is a Walbro SDC
Bottom markings: 10-78 and 53B
Top markings 21-85
And the butterfly is a 34-44

I went home and tore that carb down and it was a bit dirty, the diaphragm looks fatigued and all other gaskets look well used and not firm as they should. I would think it is time for a carb kit.

I guess my question is …. From my reading, the P60’s came with a Tillotson carb. Wondering if these were better, helped the saw run better, easier to set up on a P60? I suppose it I was going to change the whole carb and get rid of the velocity stack, etc. it may be tricky to find the exact one the saw came with and not continue running in circles with the wrong set up.

Sorry bout the long winded post, but any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers all …… :msp_confused:

my p60 came with walbro sdc the carb it was junk somebody befor i got it had it bad screwed up.. were did u find rings for the p60???

Last edited:
i used a Tillotson carb off of a pioneer farmsaw .i just used it a little cut up firewood i am switching back to the walbro sdc that i found

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back