My Random Tree Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say a bug causes this at an early age?

It doesn't have to be at an early age, anything that damages the bud on the leader (bugs, wind damage, etc.) might cause two or more of the branches directly under the leader to take over.

Taken from Pruning Coniferous Evergreens - October 24, 2007
Jeff Schalau, Associate Agent, Agriculture & Natural Resources, Arizona Cooperative Extension, Yavapai County:

" Conifer trees can often have double leaders (forked tops) which are usually caused by damage to the terminal leader (the top of the tree). If possible, double leaders should be thinned to one unless the natural growth habit includes several main branches."

It doesn't have to be at an early age, anything that damages the bud on the leader (bugs, wind damage, etc.) might cause two or more of the branches directly under the leader to take over.

Taken from Pruning Coniferous Evergreens - October 24, 2007
Jeff Schalau, Associate Agent, Agriculture & Natural Resources, Arizona Cooperative Extension, Yavapai County:

" Conifer trees can often have double leaders (forked tops) which are usually caused by damage to the terminal leader (the top of the tree). If possible, double leaders should be thinned to one unless the natural growth habit includes several main branches."

Very interesting fact. Thanks

NH Update

So I'm staying up in NH this weekend with family and they live on one of the oldest roads in this part of NH. So there are some HUGE OLD trees up here!

Check out this possible maple that has been wonderfully pruned to achieve an umbrella/broccoli top/elm look. It will someday be a beautiful shade tree!
IMG_0916.jpg

Here is an actual Elm tree, a pretty old one too right on this old road (Route32 in NH) The tree itself appears to be in decent health, no sign of DED I don't think? Girth between 10ft & 10' 2"
IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

The trunk:
IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

The other side:
IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Here is ANOTHER Elm I found up here! They must have a good elm conservation program that was reinforced at the right time. Maybe NH has more grant money toward that type of thing for injections than MA does. This one is literally maybe a mile down the road.

Can anyone tell me if this Elm compared to the last one, is more fully grown out and if the last Elm has been lions tailed? Please
1-2.jpg

Lots of inclusive bark
:rolleyes:
2-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

The rear:

4-2.jpg

Flooding & Florida Tree

This is Lake Dennison Recreational Area / State Forest. In the 1938 a hurricane flooded Baldwinville so they built a massive wall in 1939, it directs all the water to the pond and recreation area. This year it flooded bad, these restrooms are under 6 feet of water. That pole in the background is a beach probably 8+ feet down. Notice how most the area is Pine... I think that's all that can tolerate this haha

26527_106418136047214_1000003708435.jpg

26527_106418132713881_1000003708435.jpg

My uncle just sent me up some pictures of a tree in Key West FL, looks like an Banyan. I would like to know what they are going to do about those roots coming out of the branches over the pavement, they are needed to support the limbs. Looks like they might have started twisting one around that telephone pole, maybe when they are long enough have them grow along a string to the trunk instead if directly down?
banyan1.jpg

banyan2.jpg

Last edited:
What the heck are they?

Can anyone identify these two trees for me? I'm confused.

IMG_0971.jpg

It's really tall and the crotch doesn't split at all until the canopy line, not a single lower branch under that crotch. This led me to believe it was an elm but this is in the middle of the NH forest plus the bark is definitely not elm. Maybe a black hickory, bark looks right along with crotch height. What the heck is it?
IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

Then there is this thing across the street from my uncles house, is it a maple because the bark kinda does look like elm but the canopy seems too full too low to be an elm. Why is it all black and dried out is it dying or is this a disease/fungi?

Last edited:
No Way!

This is one of my first posts, how could you guys call this a hickory! Doesn't look like black or shag it's gotta be an American Chestnut! Look at the reddish stripes and the leaves on the ground! Also the new young tree just to the right of it looks just like a young American Chestnut. I think I found a treasure here aren't American Chestnuts trees just as rare as American Elm's?

Last edited:
The first tree may be Ash but not sure,second tree by the house is a Sugar Maple and the black tent on the bark is normal.SM makes good firewood and most important.....It is used to make Jack Daniels wiskey,they burn the wood and use the coals.The wiskey drips through and thats what gives it the uniqe flavor.OOOOPS!! Did I just give away the secret ingrediant:jawdrop:

The first tree may be Ash but not sure,second tree by the house is a Sugar Maple and the black tent on the bark is normal.SM makes good firewood and most important.....It is used to make Jack Daniels wiskey,they burn the wood and use the coals.The wiskey drips through and thats what gives it the uniqe flavor.OOOOPS!! Did I just give away the secret ingrediant:jawdrop:

Only reason I say black hickory is because of this picture of a black hickory:
3364213594_724c190390.jpg

Thanks for the Sugar Maple information did not know that, I know that the charcoal from willow wood is used to make gun powder (don't ask)

Also that makes me feel better about the blackness on the trunk because it's happening to my shade tree in front of my house:
Click Here

Last edited:
"Big Red"

This is a really big acer rubrum I regularly work on and visit. It's a very quiet peaceful place to be and I'm trying my best to conserve it.
IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

Woodcutteranon- Wooo that's a nice one! Ever considered taking it down a few inches around the root flare? As trees get older I swear they pull the dirt up around themselves over time. Thanks for the pics!

Woodcutteranon- Wooo that's a nice one! Ever considered taking it down a few inches around the root flare? As trees get older I swear they pull the dirt up around themselves over time. Thanks for the pics!

Me thinks you have been to one to many beriths
your really OCD on the dirt at the flare PFE, What you may not be accounting for it the root mass pushes up soil and all naturally, this is not a big deal, there is no magic line on the side of the tree that says no dirt beyond this point.

Me thinks you have been to one to many beriths
your really OCD on the dirt at the flare PFE, What you may not be accounting for it the root mass pushes up soil and all naturally, this is not a big deal, there is no magic line on the side of the tree that says no dirt beyond this point.

Yeah I AM pretty OCD about it, something that gets in the way of stopping at the right times. It may appear as if lots of the flare has been uncovered maybe too much but then again, this is a unusually webbed flare because of the fact that its a bit of a wetland where it stands. So the transition line is a bit deeper possibly, most of the illusion of removal is the fact that I cleaned in between the flares as if in between your toes or fingers, promote vigor to be sent to roots father out rather rather than close to the trunk causing future girdling(real real close). I'm going to back fill with manure and mulch a few inches.

Elm?

I found this big honking tree someone fell behind this garage, look at the bark. Is this an Elm tree, I have no leaves to go off of.

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

Thanks

OHHHHH I gave you your first nova for toe jelly.
I think that's a cottonwood

Yeahhh! Thanks! Cottonwood huh? Makes sense I was wondering what an Elm would be doing behind a garage anyway and not a front yard, they don't grow wildly anymore like that.

Latest posts

Back