My Random Tree Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help With Identification

So I was at my girlfriends house this weekend and I was walking around her yard looking at the trees when I stumped upon these. They smell like rotting flesh! What are these trees? Dogwood? Flowering pear tree?

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

There was also this tree that stumps me on what it could be HELP:

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1619.jpg

Looks like a sycamore but I can't be certain. The lighting in this picture isn't letting me see the bark. Their bark almost has a camo look to it. Sycamores have big, broad leaves...resembling a maple leaf but more spread and not as pointed.

They usually grow near creeks and marshy, wet areas. Tough splitting for firewood.

IMG_1619.jpg

Looks like a sycamore but I can't be certain. The lighting in this picture isn't letting me see the bark. Their bark almost has a camo look to it. Sycamores have big, broad leaves...resembling a maple leaf but more spread and not as pointed.

They usually grow near creeks and marshy, wet areas. Tough splitting for firewood.

Thanks man, you can't see the bark from the image above that one? I will shoot more photos closer to it, the trunk is just so odd to me it stands out, and I love that beautiful root flaring it has. :cheers:

Those Flowering trees are Bradford pears, all flower rarely fruit. very nice predictable street tree.

Bradford Pears you say? Thanks! They smell like s*** I don't think I would eat anything off them. And ya know... I never ever thought of it like that with them being so close to the road those would be awesome massive street trees someday :cheers:

20080318.preview.JPG

Last edited:
I was just noticing some today that were planted about 20+ years ago and they were really quite nice looking and healthy.
they are certainly survivors in a harsh environment.

I was just noticing some today that were planted about 20+ years ago and they were really quite nice looking and healthy.
they are certainly survivors in a harsh environment.

Do they grow fast? Basically there was a condemned factory down the road a few years ago and the factory's roof collapsed sending this stuff into the air all over (possible anapestics) and the town tested everyone's property by the square foot or something along those lines around that block. Her front yard got hit with whatever it was and the town had to cut down some huge pine trees so they offered her a choice of trees to choose from for free and she choose fruit (well she got stinky flowers with little balls)
:hmm3grin2orange:

well I may retract then, that could be flowering crab apples, My mind is set to a much more southern climate. Bradford pears grow like mad here. but they stay very predictable and regular.

well I may retract then, that could be flowering crab apples, My mind is set to a much more southern climate. Bradford pears grow like mad here. but they stay very predictable and regular.

Yeah I haven't seen these trees around anywhere before. I will take more photo's and follow up on this tree when it begins dropping flowers and developing its offspring. Thanks for your follow ups appreciate it :cheers:

Can anyone identify this as an Elm tree? A very dead one haha
IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

This is some sort of a maple (sugar?) with an intense case of girdling roots!
IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Flowers have dropped now:
IMG_1980.jpg

This is a close up:

IMG_1982.jpg

Looks like I already have de-volcano mulching work to do:
IMG_1983.jpg

This tree isint in her yard so I had to get a picture from the road, any help?
IMG_1985.jpg

All I could get was a black shadow of a leaf:
IMG_1986.jpg

This pine is not going anywhere, look at the root flares! (graveyard)
IMG_1975.jpg

This is behind the grave yard in the woods, kind of weird... looks like someone purposely snapped every tree top in a particular area...
IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

[

This is behind the grave yard in the woods, kind of weird... looks like someone purposely snapped every tree top in a particular area...
IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

that may be left over damage from the big ice storm we had a few years back. did a lot of damage, mostly topped trees like that.

S***

Uh ohh, sorry grandma! :hmm3grin2orange:

I was doing some pruning on a tree and thought I would make clean up a bit faster by throwing logs down the driveway over her car well... the last log was pretty heavy and ya... totally did not make it over the car! Oh well s*** happens.

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

Unidentified Pine

I spotted this along the railroad and I walked over 5 miles and this is THE only one I saw. It's an odd Pine of some sort, kind of soft and fluffy looking. Any idea what it is?

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

What is this beast? The trunk resembles a Beech but the leaves are a dark maroon / brown.

4-6.jpg

3-7.jpg

I came across a row of Elms I think? They are young and possibly regrowth shoots.

42c6f827.jpg

1-6.jpg

2-5.jpg

This should grow up to be a very shapely elm tree someday
IMG_2990.jpg

Anyone identify this tree for me?
IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

Someone cut this limb off and there is a lot of vigor in the tree so its throwing out suckers like this, if I removed them would it increase the chance or rate of rot or would it direct the energy toward closing in the wound?
IMG_2979.jpg

Latest posts

Back