My Shop-Made Slotted Cap Twister

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one just today. I used epoxy to fill the slot and it is as good as new. Hand tightening is all that is needed on that saw. Echo cs 400 oil cap was lost and customer used a stihl one.
I tried that once. The owner told me that I ruined the cap and he had no intention of using only his hand to tighten it because the decal on the saw said to use the scrench. He demanded that I buy him a new cap. I did and he paid for it.

I would choose the longer one. But I could see some one with smaller hands liking the low profile.
I have a customer who wants to buy either a rebuilt 026 or 028 from me next week. The smaller, low-profile cap twister would work very well for him. There is no conflict with the handle on the bar oil cap and he's missing some physical strength like we all do when we get older--and, he's an experienced sawyer.

I think LOML has more brains than half the burly guys tightening slotted caps with a scrench these days. :)

I've never needed anything to screw on or unscrew the caps on the saws I run other than my hands. Have had to on customer saws though... all brands!

It doesn't take much to have it tight enough.

The newer 660s are flippy caps, as are all Stihls as far as I know?

Guess what I'm saying is it's operator error, not a product defect.

They are not, they and the 170/180's still use twist on caps. The new 661 uses flippies.

Use my fingers unless someone tightened it with a scrench.
If you put a scrench in and lean it over so the tip is in one side of the slot and the shaft rests in the other side of the slot, you can rotate the cap easily without damage

i never tighten my caps with a scrench, i do not know why anyone would?

i never use it to loosen the gas cap, no need to, and only occasionally my oil cap gets to the point where i cant open it easily by hand.

never knew this was such a big deal for some people, lots of girly hands?

i never tighten my caps with a scrench, i do not know why anyone would? ...
The decals than Stihl stuck on the side of the carb/air filter cover are the true culprit. Thousands upon thousands were sold that way. I've decided to try Old Cat's design, slightly modified with a hardwood handle. Or, I could make a small T-handle like a stubby screwdriver with a wide, thick, flat blade. The idea is to make it small enough to fit in your shirt or jeans pocket. It would resemble the design in post #8. It would also be half the weight of the design shown in post #1.

Back