My Stihl dealer refused to sell me a part!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about modified automobile engines, say, the ones powering those vehicles that go around and around a track a hundred times in one day, for the enjoyment of thousands of spectators? I wonder if the limiter caps have been removed and the mufflers "modded" to enable these vehicles to travel at speeds in excess of the speed limit........? :blob2:
:agree2:
Thousands of spectators, driving their cars, trucks, RV's, flying to the track in private aircraft....
Throw in all of the various types of vehicles used by the racing teams & their private jets, network media, race officials, law enforcement, National Guard, emergency vehicles, beer trucks, coke trucks, food trucks, sponsor's trucks, track facilities....How about those jet dryers they use on the race track? Is the pace car emissions compliant? How about the blimp? Almost forgot about the military flyover.

I just want to be able to run my saws on my land, surrounded by thousands of carbon-sequestering trees, without blowing the durn things up.:chainsawguy:

BTW, I am a NASCAR fan too. :D

:agree2:
Thousands of spectators, driving their cars, trucks, RV's, flying to the track in private aircraft....
Throw in all of the various types of vehicles used by the racing teams & their private jets, network media, race officials, law enforcement, National Guard, emergency vehicles, beer trucks, coke trucks, food trucks, sponsor's trucks, track facilities....How about those jet dryers they use on the race track? Is the pace car emissions compliant? How about the blimp? Almost forgot about the military flyover.

I just want to be able to run my saws on my land, surrounded by thousands of carbon-sequestering trees, without blowing the durn things up.:chainsawguy:

BTW, I am a NASCAR fan too. :D

Your post is something that I have thought about many times while watching the tube, and flicking through the channels and watching a race that has been going on for hours, Where's the EPA and all the regs that they have in place, you can't tell me that a race a week for 3 or 4 hours 4 times a month is'nt hurting the environment. It just goes to show that if money and big corporations are involved that the environmental agencys no when to close there eyes.:mad:

Instead there worrying about what some poor smuck is going to do to the environment with a $8 dollar screwdriver. No disrespect to the OP.

Last edited:
Howdy,
Everybody and their brother from the carb manufacturers to the power equipment manufacturers have these available. I haven't seen anything that says nobody can sell them to end users. If anybody has anything in writing, I would like to see it. If you need to have the one with the orange handle,:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+5910+890+4500&catID=
Regards
Gregg

Haha,nice shot GD.....I am growing very bored with taking the time to visit my dealer,finding that they DO NOT have my parts in stock,wanting me to prepay for said parts,and have to make the trip 2-3 days later to pick the damn things up.At least they could ship to your door or something.....loosing interest in dealing with this crap,no doubt.

What about modified automobile engines, say, the ones powering those vehicles that go around and around a track a hundred times in one day, for the enjoyment of thousands of spectators? I wonder if the limiter caps have been removed and the mufflers "modded" to enable these vehicles to travel at speeds in excess of the speed limit........? :blob2:

attachment.php

Pfft.....

Watch the Nitromethane (cleaning agent for printing presses) spill out of the headers on this jewel...and only for a warm up. 12 gallons of it for a WOT 1/4 mile pass.

The car is started on methanol. The timing is set on both magnetos, then the fuel system is changed to nitro. The engine runs a bit on one fuel pump, then both pumps are turned on, crewmen hold the car on the jackstands, the brake is held, and the throttle blipped to seat the clutch.

8000HP.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvIhmPfbV6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvIhmPfbV6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Notice the race fan wearing a respirator...

That Top Fuel video is amazing. Is the guy not wearing the hearing protection already deaf?

Take your saw in there & remove the caps with a screw in front of him. When the big chees walks in, thank the rep for showing you how to remove them without the tool haha.

I agree completely. I like light switches that work. Yeah, I wonder how the particulate tonnage from chainsaws being sufficiently rich to prevent premature engine failure compares to that of hundreds of coal fired generating plants. Just curious: How much coal does your plant go through in a high demand day? I am awed by the amount of coal on one eighty-car train as I wait at the RR crossing. No shortage there.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Existing_U.S._Coal_Plants
I work in the ash management atthis plant. I run a wheel loader loading out the ash into quad axle trucks that haul to a landfill for disposal. Usually there is 2 150 to 180 train car loads a day and non stop coal trucks running 24-7. Plus rock trucks hauling limestone in that is crushed and mixed in for the scrubbers. This plant has 5 units running 24-7 most of the time

Last edited:
My dealer didn't blink and eye. Called them on Wednesday, paid with a card and picked up limiter caps and tool today. I could have been Mr. Stihl himself and they could have cared less. They don't know me from Adam no matter how many saws I buy from them. Maybe if I ran a tree crew, but that's not going to happen.

I work in the ash management atthis plant. I run a wheel loader loading out the ash into quad axle trucks that haul to a landfill for disposal. Usually there is 2 150 to 180 train car loads a day and non stop coal trucks running 24-7. Plus rock trucks hauling limestone in that is crushed and mixed in for the scrubbers.

Do you know who made the coal pulverizers at your plant?

I used to work at a shop that did rebuild work on Babcock & Wilcox pulverizers.

I used to turn the yokes on these units during rebulid. The yoke on the roll wheel model weighs 12,000 pounds.

attachment.php
---
attachment.php

so you can get an idea on the size of these units, here is a picture of the roll wheel and grinding ring.

attachment.php

I am a refrigeration mechanic and the fine for us if we get caught releasing refrigerant can be up to 100 grand, with a 10 grand reward going to whomever turns you in if it leads to conviction. Wonder how long before the EPA starts trying to do that with the small engine guys trying to make a living, which thanks to the EPA and the federal government and competition from the box stores, already has trouble feeding his family. If they want to protect the water table and the air quality, maybe they should be pushing the full synthetic mix oils and bar oils.

Do you know who made the coal pulverizers at your plant?

I used to work at a shop that did rebuild work on Babcock & Wilcox pulverizers.

I used to turn the yokes on these units during rebulid. The yoke on the roll wheel model weighs 12,000 pounds.

attachment.php
---
attachment.php

so you can get an idea on the size of these units, here is a picture of the roll wheel and grinding ring.

attachment.php

Nope I can't say who makes them, but I would think that it's probably the company you mentioned. I can find out Monday. I see several rings and wheels that are worn out in the bone yard. I very seldom venture inside the plant. I'm just a contracted outside ash rat that gets the dirty work. Our projected 6 month clean up job is in it's 10 month, but the end is in sight unless we get the bid on the second faze of the clean up.

Last edited:
Same experience here

I went to a Husqvarna dealer to buy a carb adjuster tool, he tells me he's not allowed to sell them.

So I go to the local Stihl dealer, and he says no, we don't have a tool that fits Husqvarnas. But Stihl actually includes a carb adjuster tool with each saw! Really, I should buy a Stihl for my next saw! Oh we take the tool out of the box before giving it to the customer.

Real ****** helpful.

I'm all for EPA regs and clean air, but there's a right way to go about it and a wrong way. Locking out carb adjustments is just stupid.

Log Hogger you can get the husky tool on ebay and some of the sponsors have them as well. Look up poulan/husky carb tool.

Edge & Engine has them they call it a splined carb adjustment tool. Look under chainsaw parts and then click on carburetors , then click on tools

Last edited:
Howdy,
We do print our own parts manuals to go with the saws we sell. If the preponderance of saws needed to have the caps pulled to get them to run right, we would definitely recommend it. A very small percentage of brand new saws need the caps removed for initial adjustment. On the other hand, if the saw is going to be run at about 5000' in altitude or higher, they certainly need to come off.
Regards
Gregg

I live at 7500ft and cut between 8000 to 11000ft. Yes, I can say that they are way off and need of a "little" bit of adjustment. The tach that I bought from baileys last year is making my life easy.And saving what little hearing I have left.

I work in the ash management atthis plant. I run a wheel loader loading out the ash into quad axle trucks that haul to a landfill for disposal. Usually there is 2 150 to 180 train car loads a day and non stop coal trucks running 24-7. Plus rock trucks hauling limestone in that is crushed and mixed in for the scrubbers. This plant has 5 units running 24-7 most of the time

Wow.

Jeez. Is anyone listening??? A small pair of needlenose and you can gently pull the limiter right out, easily. No special tools needed. Shave off the stop, and gently put it back in....

This falls in the category of making something harder than it really is...

Ain't no thang

It didn't come up in my dealer's "system" right away, but they "found" it and sold it to me.....at their cost no less. Then the guy ringing-out my parts tells me that the shop doesn't even have a limiter-cap puller. :jawdrop: I got dealer's cost on my flywheel puller too. :D

attachment.php

Jeez. Is anyone listening??? A small pair of needlenose and you can gently pull the limiter right out, easily. No special tools needed. Shave off the stop, and gently put it back in....

This falls in the category of making something harder than it really is...[/QUOTE]

Besides a few guys, WELCOME to AS!!!

Back