My Tach Installation (Stihl MS-441 R C-M) -- Looks nice, but...bad idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work!
I was just about to purchase that same tach in orange, too.
My only concern was that I couldn't find any info on the refresh rate.
Do you happen to know the refresh rate on this tach?

Guys,

Only have a few minutes, but here is the video I made of the tach operation on my 441 M-Tronic. I also have new video (still being edited) of the same tach on my regular 'ol Craftsman saw. It gives a good baseline of the tach's performance on a "normal" saw.

Sorry this has to be brief, but in short, the TTO tach does seem to operate more erratically on the M-Tronic, just as Stihlman and Brad said it would. Using the slow refresh rate, however, quiets it down a lot and gives a more fluid reading, but it is, of course, slower. And I'm not sure if that's useful or not, since I'm not a highly-(or even poorly-)trained saw tuner.

I have lots more to say, but have to run out the door! I at least wanted to put the video up so you guys could start discussing the results. :)

If it does act a little strange, take it to someone with an oscilloscope and electronic knowledge, I'm betting on a diode that will stop ghost currents.

It is an awesome install. I fail to understand why anybody would need a tach installed on an auto tune saw in the first place. What are you going to do if you think the RPM's should be higher in the cut? Also please make sure you are focused on the saws intended purpose and not on the tach. Stuff can go wrong in a hurry when u'r not watching u'r tip. Kudos again on the great installation

Excellent job. That tach does not jump around any more than my factory Stihl one does on any other machine including the 441-CM.. I'm not sure if you could get any better. Your first setting would be totally acceptable to me.

I found the tachs on the mtronics read screwy under load mostly, and my best guess at why the tachs don't work so well would be that the sampling period gets screwed by the variable ignition timing. Say the tach takes a sample of, 1/4 of a seconds worth of the coil firing and multiples that to come up with RPM. Then it does that for whatever, 1/4 sec out of every 2 sec to keep refreshing the readout. Now, that works just fine so long as the ignition is firing consistently. But say that you put the saw under load and the timing advances/retards the average number of shots coming from the coil over a brief interval would be totally different in each interval and make it seem like the engine was going a lot faster or slower for that period. Without knowing anything about how frequent and how long the sampling period is, the only way I can think that would work is to use a longer sampling period, measuring coil shots for a full second or longer would make the variable timing even out. You'd get slower refresh though.

Shaun

It is an awesome install. I fail to understand why anybody would need a tach installed on an auto tune saw in the first place. What are you going to do if you think the RPM's should be higher in the cut? Also please make sure you are focused on the saws intended purpose and not on the tach. Stuff can go wrong in a hurry when u'r not watching u'r tip. Kudos again on the great installation

It can be kind of academic, but sometimes it's nice to know what RPM's you're getting in the cut. +1 on paying attention to the saw rather than the tach, kind of like driving along staring at your GPS instead of looking at the road. In big wood with plenty of time to think the tach can tell you some interesting stuff though.

Not speaking for the OP but I would have added one to my 261c just to keep track of the hours on the saw. I hate guessing (not gona keep accurate records) how many tanks have been ran threw a saw, so an hour meter is nice. Plus it helps with an accurate description should you want to resell the saw later.

I use the tachs when I'm modding the carb. You can watch the rpm as you pull down the revs and determine peak torque and how fast the power drops off below peak torque. That can tell me if I need some extra fuel flow in the low speed circuit.

The same with the high speed circuit where I can tweak the high speed needle and pick up a couple of hundred rpm in the cut. My ears aren't good enough to pick up 200 rpm at 10,000 rpm - that's only a 2% difference.

Very nice. Can u post pic of underside of cowl?
Sure!

Here is how it looks without the tach:

Underside-2_zpsd49c2ce8.jpg

And with the tach:
Underside-1_zps513eb98f.jpg

I use the tachs when I'm modding the carb. You can watch the rpm as you pull down the revs and determine peak torque and how fast the power drops off below peak torque. That can tell me if I need some extra fuel flow in the low speed circuit.

The same with the high speed circuit where I can tweak the high speed needle and pick up a couple of hundred rpm in the cut. My ears aren't good enough to pick up 200 rpm at 10,000 rpm - that's only a 2% difference.

So Terry are you saying you can tweek the 441C MTorinc carbs ?.

Latest posts

Back