My thoughts on the MS 290 Stihl Farm Boss on loan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 290 was my first Stihl saw. I bought mine with the 20inch bar on it with an rsc chain. As long as I keep oil in it for the bar and the bar out of the dirt the chain holds a good edge and the saw has no problems pulling it. No mpds done on the muffler as of yet either and I have buried the bar into 37-38inches of wood plenty of times as this seems to be all that I can get my hands on anymore, but I will take it because the price is right on it.

the 361 will be more then enough, but if your cutting in the 18" and above 440 is the way to go

If your keeping the 250 , I'd suggest a 440 and you have the 250 to go to for limbing or taking a break from the bigger saw. If you feel comfortable with the weight of a 440 it would be a great all around saw. If your more weight consensus over power and speed in cutting larger wood the 361 is a very comfortable saw to run. In very hard wood the 361 will slow down in larger diameters sooner then a 440.

Go 70cc. The 361 isn't powerful enough to use as a big saw. You need something that can pull a 28" bar if needed.

If it must be Stihl, I'd go with 440(if around still), 441 or 460.

Any of these will make a 361 feel like a real turd.

Ok couple of things.. I intend to keep the 250 its a nice saw and step up from my old homie 240 ( that was as good saw and gave me many a years good service)
There is not a lot of 'big wood' left in the woods as it was logged about 20 years ago but there are some nice sized trees now and that then underbrush is dying down...its been bad since the big ice storm of 94..
the main reason I got the 250 was that was the only medium saw they had at the time and wasn't going to send me into the poor-house ( their selection was kinda slim at the time... and just recently Stihl don't list them as a dealer anymore on their website.. hmmmmand of their 5 store none of them had a new chain for the 250 or a bar... hmmm again)
probably the best thing is to go an physically pick up each saw and see if its something I can stand and wont whip my :censored: too easily..
I like the idea of an adjustable oiler on the larger saws... sometimes i dont trust the automatic one setting oiler... it sometimes don't seem like enough in my opinion... but the chain and bar have oil on it so it must be ok. Sorry I seem to be rambling and undecided... being a tight-wad cheap chicken farmer ( 125,000 broilers) its hard to part with $5-700+ at once..especially when my last electric bill was over $2000 LOL

Sorry I seem to be rambling and undecided... being a tight-wad cheap chicken farmer ( 125,000 broilers) its hard to part with $5-700+ at once..especially when my last electric bill was over $2000 LOL
A Makita 6401 can be bought for under $400 brand new on ebay presently. Service would be the concern I would have before buying. I feel I can service my own and got 1 for 369.90 w/ shipping. A big warranty claim could be a problem but I'm banking I will not have it. As far as the 6401 it feels heaviar then a 440, a little more power then a 361 but less then a 440. So far I like everything about it except the position of the tophandle. It feels somewhat awkward to me limbing straight in front of me. My 044 lifts significantly easiar when working it in limbs, other then that its a great starter , nice powerband, air cleaner doesn't seem to collect much and for $200 it can be upgraded to a 7900 Dolmar in blue.

Back