My truck isn't designed to haul wood.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
folks routinely pull 40k lbs with Cumins Turbo Diesel trucks. it's not what you can pull, it's what you can safely stop... http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=115362

no question if you pull these kind of loads. special torque converters and valve bodies are needed or heavy duty clutch to survive.

6BT 5.9 Cummins is the identical motor used in a variety of tractors, road paver's, etc.

grease fitting started getting left off of vehicles because mfg don't want them to last too long. was in auto parts business for 15+ years. by the time a ball joint usually fails 100K miles, it's long out of warranty. if you keep joints full of grease, they go next to forever. just don't fill em too full.

a way to get around lack of grease zert is a grease gun needle. carefully puncture through boot and load with molly grease. been doing it for years....

after market ball joints and u joints are under no such constraints. so they generally come with grease fittings. metal to metal contact without lube = quick destruction.

sedanman said:
40K is double what most pick ups are rated for, if you're towing this much with a pick up your tranny should explode, and you should get an itchy rash also.

The grease fitting thing bothers me too but there is a reason for it. In some states a vehicle leaking oil or grease will fail state inspection, this includes balloned ball joint/ tie rod boots and leaking zerks. As the manufacturer cannot determine where each vehicle will end up, all are built without grease fittings. Most of the Moog replacement parts still have grease fittings.

Last edited:
It is amazing how well everyone takes care of their $500.00 saws yet abuse the $20.000 plus trucks. As Dirty Harry said " A mans got to know his limitations ". Get the right size truck for the job you are trying to do. Not trying to step on anyones toes just my 2 cents.

046 said:
folks routinely pull 40k lbs with Cumins Turbo Diesel trucks. it's not what you can pull, it's what you can safely stop... http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=115362

no question if you pull these kind of loads. special torque converters and valve bodies are needed or heavy duty clutch to survive.

4BT 5.9 Cummins is the identical motor used in semi's and a variety of tractors, road paver's, etc.

grease fitting started getting left off of vehicles because mfg don't want them to last too long. was in auto parts business for 15+ years. by the time a ball joint usually fails 100K miles, it's long out of warranty. if you keep joints full of grease, they go next to forever. just don't fill em too full.

a way to get around lack of grease zert is a grease gun needle. carefully puncture through boot and load with molly grease. been doing it for years....

after market ball joints and u joints are under no such constraints. so they generally come with grease fittings. metal to metal contact without lube = quick destruction.

My BS meter is going off.

Id pay to see someone pull 40 grand on a trailer behind any pick-up. You are confusing trailer GVW with the GCW of everything.

Also, the guy that said he backed up to a 53' van trailer and slapped it on his fifth wheel plate and delivered it for the semi driver is lying. First thing is the Shanks on Semi Trailers are larger than those on a trailer being towed by a pick-up with a plate. Second is the weight on the plate would excede the GAWR of the truck he supposedly hooked onto it with. Third, there is no way in he11 he would be able to stop it empty, let alone loaded with produce.

You may be able to pull 30 - 40 grand behind your whatever pick-up, but that doesnt mean you should.

You said....

4BT 5.9 Cummins is the identical motor used in semi's and a variety of tractors, road paver's, etc.

I dont dispute the tractors or Road Paver, but in a semi? Highly unlikey, the semi's I am familiar with are putting out 600-900 horse and anywhere from 1300 - 2000 ft/lbs of tourqe. You arent getting that from 5.9 liters without effecting the longevity of the motor.

The 5.9 Cummins is rated for up to 65,000 lbs. A semis can be over 80K no 5.9 in a semi, a firetruck maybe but no semi's. I have towed a 14,000 lb load with my 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge. 40k would kill it and whatever I hit when I couldn't stop. Like I said, If you do this you deserve an itchy rash.

I used to frequent a diesel truck forum. People would ask "Is it ok to haul 12k in the bed just once?" They'd go on about haveibg the opportunity to make some money hauling something ungodly heavy (like depleted uranium) and wanting to do it all in 1 trip. They would take a bunch of yahoo's saying it was ok over the factory saying it wasn't.

True story..........

My friend has a 1997 Dodge Cummins 1ton duallie. His wife video taped him pulling a 70ft double-wide mobile home 3 miles. He made some decent money doing it........but never again will he do it. The front springs were maxed out and the tongue weight was severly exceeded. The engine seemed to pull the weight with no problems. Very impressive to watch the video, but something learned about vehicle limits. :popcorn:

You've got the power, just get a pickup bed trailer and pull behind. You should be able to pickup a decent 3/4 ton for 2-300 and you will effentively double you capacity and still be able to stop safely. Just load the truck before you load the trailer so you have weight on the rear axle for traction.

Not picking on you but I love how some people rationalize buying a diesel 4x4 pick up. "Well I pull a horse trailer 3.6 times a year and I NEED to be the first one up the hill." My father farmed 160 acres and cared for thirty some odd head of cattle for twenty years without so much as four wheel drive. Now, soccer moms drop the youngens off at school in a Dmax four door blah blah blah you get the idea.

If your getting ready to come out of school don't strap yourself with yet another bill.

CaseyForrest said:
My BS meter is going off.

You said....

I dont dispute the tractors or Road Paver, but in a semi? Highly unlikey, the semi's I am familiar with are putting out 600-900 horse and anywhere from 1300 - 2000 ft/lbs of tourqe. You arent getting that from 5.9 liters without effecting the longevity of the motor.

That should be 6bt, 4bt is a four hole.

Casey, what over the road truck is putting out 900 horse stock?

The 5.9 were used in class five trucks/FL70's. I know of a couple Freighliners with them in 'em. http://www.truckertotrucker.com/listings/26570.cfm

CaseyForrest said:

Not picking, but those #'s sound real high. An N14, M11, QSX15 in an older semi is anywhere from 350-550HP depending on the pump, injectors and controller. 900 seems a tad bit optimistic....

SmokinDodge said:
That should be 6bt, 4bt is a four hole.

Casey, what over the road truck is putting out 900 horse stock?

The 5.9 were used in class five trucks/FL70's. I know of a couple Freighliners with them in 'em. http://www.truckertotrucker.com/listings/26570.cfm

Any idea the differene between the 6CT and the 6BT? We use the 6CTA and 6CTAA's in some of our small off road generators. I'll have to get the #'s from work on the HP/TQ specs.

All I know is that our QSK60 V16's produce upwards of 3500 ft/lbs. Don't know the HP, but it is close to 2K if my memory is correct.

Freakingstang said:
Any idea the differene between the 6CT and the 6BT? We use the 6CTA and 6CTAA's in some of our small off road generators. I'll have to get the #'s from work on the HP/TQ specs.

All I know is that our QSK60 V16's produce upwards of 3500 ft/lbs. Don't know the HP, but it is close to 2K if my memory is correct.

No clue, my guess would be a different engine configuration for genset vs mobile app. Maybe 046 could enlighten us.

Gotta love those V 16's. I got the opportunity to work on a 3516 cat in a rail grinding outfit I think it was 2,200 horse. The entire car was dedicated to the engine/gen set and they had two, one on each end of the "train". Absolutley nothing better than standing next to an engine with that makes your whole body shake when it's running.

Your cummins can run up to 2500 horse @ 1900 depending on the setup and if it has the two stage turbo setup.

CaseyForrest said:
the semi's I am familiar with are putting out 600-900 horse and anywhere from 1300 - 2000 ft/lbs of tourqe. .

Casey..

C15 CAT.

C15 15.2L Heavy-Duty Engine: Pure Muscle
King of the Hill

The Cat® C15 on-highway engine comes packed with the power, performance and reliability Cat owners have come to expect and soon it can be spec'd with 600 or 625 horsepower. As the leading choice for owner-operators, fleets and heavy haulers who want high horsepower performance combined with unmatched durability and superior resale value, the C15 delivers.

Built to last with series turbochargers, a higher compression ratio, and higher cylinder pressure to produce improved performance, better throttle response and increased fuel economy. And like all heavy duty engines with ACERT™ technology, the C15 also features rugged components such as steel single-piece low friction pistons, four-bolt connecting rods and a high-efficiency water pump.

With peak torque ratings up to 2050 lb-ft, the C15 provides excellent startability and exceptional hill-climbing capability. And even with 625 horses under the hood, you can still expect low maintenance costs and long engine life.

Specifications
Cylinders In-Line 6
Bore/Stroke 5.4 x 6.75 (137mm x 171mm)
Displacement 15.2 L (928 cu in)
Weight 2890 lb (1311 kg)
Horsepower 435 to 625 @ 2100 rpm
Torque 1550-2050 lb-ft @ 1200 rpm

Surely not 900 H/P

I vote for a trailer. Too many advantages over loading a truck. (unhook and leave it, added weight carrying, no scratches in truck)

attachment.php

04ultra said:
Casey..

C15 CAT.

C15 15.2L Heavy-Duty Engine: Pure Muscle
King of the Hill

The Cat® C15 on-highway engine comes packed with the power, performance and reliability Cat owners have come to expect and soon it can be spec'd with 600 or 625 horsepower. As the leading choice for owner-operators, fleets and heavy haulers who want high horsepower performance combined with unmatched durability and superior resale value, the C15 delivers.

Built to last with series turbochargers, a higher compression ratio, and higher cylinder pressure to produce improved performance, better throttle response and increased fuel economy. And like all heavy duty engines with ACERT™ technology, the C15 also features rugged components such as steel single-piece low friction pistons, four-bolt connecting rods and a high-efficiency water pump.

With peak torque ratings up to 2050 lb-ft, the C15 provides excellent startability and exceptional hill-climbing capability. And even with 625 horses under the hood, you can still expect low maintenance costs and long engine life.

Specifications
Cylinders In-Line 6
Bore/Stroke 5.4 x 6.75 (137mm x 171mm)
Displacement 15.2 L (928 cu in)
Weight 2890 lb (1311 kg)
Horsepower 435 to 625 @ 2100 rpm
Torque 1550-2050 lb-ft @ 1200 rpm

Surely not 900 H/P

Sorry guys, I was a little high on the HP rating. I thought I had seen the HP range in a mag somewhere.

EDIT: we get equipment mags at work, I know how I mixed up those HP ratings.

Last edited:
STIHL-KID said:
Just got back today from cutting firewood in the local forest. By the end of my wood gathering my truck was not liking me too much. My vehicle is a 1980's Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd one tire fire. After loading my truck with wood, my traction seemed to increase (only good thing about it). Maybe it's time for me to get that Dodge Cummins truck I've always wanted..........

Your truck is designed to haul wood, but not that much at one time:biggrinbounce2: !!

sorry about the typo... 6BT 5.9, your right 4BT is a four cyl
thanks for pointing out 5.9 Cummins are used in Freightliners

no clue about 6CT :hmm3grin2orange:

SmokinDodge said:
No clue, my guess would be a different engine configuration for genset vs mobile app. Maybe 046 could enlighten us.

Gotta love those V 16's. I got the opportunity to work on a 3516 cat in a rail grinding outfit I think it was 2,200 horse. The entire car was dedicated to the engine/gen set and they had two, one on each end of the "train". Absolutley nothing better than standing next to an engine with that makes your whole body shake when it's running.

Your cummins can run up to 2500 horse @ 1900 depending on the setup and if it has the two stage turbo setup.

SmokinDodge said:

All our gens run at 1800 RPm because they are 60hz. Some will be setup everyonce in a while at 1500rpm for 50 hertz (overseas frequency)

I Know out 6CT is 8.3L liter...We don't have any at the shop where I can get the IPL # to check HP specs... A guy at the shop said they were common in 2 1/2 ton through 5 ton trucks.

Our little V16 is the KTA50. It is the older version that isn't EPA compliant in CA. Our big Qsk60 isn't listed. I know the QSK sucks more fuel at full load.....

KTA50, V16 3037 cubic inch or 50.3 Liter. It is used in a 1500KW generator
that produces 2220 BHP @ 1800 RPM. Uses twin turbos with a huge aftercooler. Couldn't find the tourque rating on our online database. (didn't call cummins) But full load fuel comsumption is 109 gallons an hour :dizzy: It holds about 75 gallons of oil in the sump of the oil pan. It has an additional 50 gallon reserve tank that will self feed if the oil level drops. The external size of this engine is about the width and length of a pickup truck. Weight is about 12,000 pounds by iteself. It is packaged in a 45' ISO (semi) container.

Our biggest is a 2040KW that uses the QSK60. I'd venture to say it is over 2500 HP..... It burns close to 125 gallons an hour at full load....

Last edited:
My truck has a weight rating on the sticker inside the driver's door.

I read that these weight ratings don't necessarily mean how much weight you can put in the bed and have the truck support that weight, but have more to do with how much weight you can "regularly" put in the bed and *drive* normally and safely.

So I think the weight rating has a lot to do with how the truck handles curves, break stopping (heat) capacity, clutch, etc. And also how much weight the truck can support.

So I get the impression that I can "sometimes" overload my truck (not everyday 365 days a year), but I need to drive slower around curves, drive slower in general, not tailgate vehicles in front of me, go slower over bumps, and not go down any long steep hills which require constant breaking (or pull over and let breaks cool down). Etc.

Back