my wife kills me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old' lady #####es and moans about saws, splitters, mess, time spent cutting, etc.....
But as soon as it's time to start burnig, she's all over it, and there ain't enough firewood in the trees for her? She also don't mind the extra cash from selling wood too:msp_sneaky:
Can't Understand Normal Thinking. (take the capitals off that phrase and you get the message):cool2:

Some say it shortens the drying time to something like 3 months, while others have said 2 years. Some have run tests, but I haven't seen anything conclusive either way. But, It won't be long before I start playing Jenga and pull a split or three off the bottom, re split them and take a moisture meter to them. The first wood stacked in those piles was November 11th 2012 so I figure to be fair I should check February 11th. That would be the stack on the right side of the pictures.

I love the looks of the stove. Very nice!

I can empathize with your wife. There's nothing like titanium to slow a person down. I have a pile of hardware (two lag bolts holding in a couple of new discs where the docs went in from the front, then from my backside installed 6 large pedicle screws 2 vertical rods and a horizontal bar. All titanium) in my back due to having it broken in a motorcycle collision. Also what looks like a staple in my hand. That was about 2 and 1/2 years ago.

View attachment 275128

I think I saw your post on getting some huge wood not that far back. I hate to say it, but I'd be happier than a pig in a poke! I'd be cuttin n noodlin n splitting n stackin to my hearts content. I might even have to hang a sign by the driveway "Do Not Disturb" :msp_biggrin:
woodcutter-smiley_zps2e644735.gif

Anyway, keep an eye on the posts figure the 12th of February. I will be posting the results of the tests. If I can get a big enough split out, I might even try one from inside or at least get some kind of reading from it. The wood is from a White Birch

You did see a few posts about me having access to larger wood. Mostly red oaks. I just finished bucking the one I dropped and it's 3-32" in diameter, my friend I just talked to who hit me up on Facebook says he's got the main trunk left of a 42" oak that blew down a year ago I can have as well as some others. The farm I cut on has enough wood to keep me stocked for 40 years but the farmer is 94. Hopefully I can stay in the good graces with the daughter and husband. They are good people. My problem isn't cutting or wood to cut. It's slow moving it with just an 8' bed with a toolbox in it. Box my have to go but is very handy.

Ouch on the hardware. My wifes is scary looking too.
View attachment 275154View attachment 275155

herd a cord is 16'x40'......whitespider those are some of the nicest stacks ive ever seen

You did see a few posts about me having access to larger wood. Mostly red oaks. I just finished bucking the one I dropped and it's 3-32" in diameter, my friend I just talked to who hit me up on Facebook says he's got the main trunk left of a 42" oak that blew down a year ago I can have as well as some others. The farm I cut on has enough wood to keep me stocked for 40 years but the farmer is 94. Hopefully I can stay in the good graces with the daughter and husband. They are good people. My problem isn't cutting or wood to cut. It's slow moving it with just an 8' bed with a toolbox in it. Box my have to go but is very handy.

Ouch on the hardware. My wifes is scary looking too.
View attachment 275154View attachment 275155
Now that's a lot of wood. Having only weekends to retrieve it must be a bear too. I wonder if you might be better off renting something like a car hauler with a heavy duty winch on it to get the wood home and in position. If it were me, I'd buck everything and at least quarter the rounds if not more to get them into the bed of the truck and just keep going until all the wood was transferred. But that is just me and I do seem to have a good amount of spare time on my hands at least for now.

I'm sure if you treat the farmer and his daughter n husband well, you'll be able to continue cutting there for years to come. After all, it is beneficial to all y'all.

When I looked at your wife's hardware even mine said ouch! On a scale of butt puckerage of 1 to 10, that's at least a 20. Hopefully she healed well!

So I told her I wanted a wood stove. She says it a dumb idea and not worth it. I tell her how much money we can save and she he some calculations. she still says no. Being the man of the house I do it anyway.

The way it should be!

We are men, we don't listen to the noooo advice, do it anyway. Then kick ourselves in the butt.:bang:

Now that's a lot of wood. Having only weekends to retrieve it must be a bear too. I wonder if you might be better off renting something like a car hauler with a heavy duty winch on it to get the wood home and in position. If it were me, I'd buck everything and at least quarter the rounds if not more to get them into the bed of the truck and just keep going until all the wood was transferred. But that is just me and I do seem to have a good amount of spare time on my hands at least for now.

I'm sure if you treat the farmer and his daughter n husband well, you'll be able to continue cutting there for years to come. After all, it is beneficial to all y'all.!

Spare time is minimal right now and usually is. On Sat my FIL will load me up with the Bobcat and all I have to do is go to my place and unload. Think I'll just do that until all the big rounds are done and maybe go back Sunday and cut small ones (12-24") that have been down for two years on the other side of the property which I can load myself. Or maybe split a while.

Wife healed well but takes symbalta for nerve pain. It's also an antidepressant. She's way laid back now. Makes saw/tool purchases go much smoother:)

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

Wife healed well but takes symbalta for nerve pain. It's also an antidepressant. She's way laid back now. Makes saw/tool purchases go much smoother:)

I thought about using the cymbalta, but I'm afraid it might make me too light headed to operate a chainsaw safely, or for that matter anything else I might do. So I just take naproxen to keep things to a tolerable level.

When my husband and I would have discussions as to some new toy he wanted to purchase, I always had two questions. One was "Do we need it?" and two, "Will it make you happy?" I don't recall ever saying no! I always found a way to work it into the budget to help make him as happy as he made me. We both worked and if I needed to work longer hours, then so be it. He died better than 25 years ago in a motor vehicle accident.

When my wife and I bought our first house it already had a wood stove in the basement. I had 5 cords all cut and split and started hauling it in before we even moved any furniture. She said that she wasn't going to have anything to do with the wood stove. A couple of oil bills and a cold spell later guess who came home to a warm house and hot stove. We have been heating with wood ever since and that was almost 30 years ago. We have an OWB now so she doesn't have to touch it but she does help with the splitting and stacking.

I thought about using the cymbalta, but I'm afraid it might make me too light headed to operate a chainsaw safely, or for that matter anything else I might do. So I just take naproxen to keep things to a tolerable level.

When my husband and I would have discussions as to some new toy he wanted to purchase, I always had two questions. One was "Do we need it?" and two, "Will it make you happy?" I don't recall ever saying no! I always found a way to work it into the budget to help make him as happy as he made me. We both worked and if I needed to work longer hours, then so be it. He died better than 25 years ago in a motor vehicle accident.

Sorry you lost him, sounds like you had a good healthy relationship.

Its cold in CT! It was zero this morning when I woke up and has been cold all day. Tonight when my wife came home from work she decided to sit next to the fire again and was happy to warm up by it. After an hour she decided to make some cookies but needed softened butter. She took out a stick of butter from the fridge and placed it next to the stove to soften. By the time we were done eating dinner the stick was soft enough. I filled my wood rack next to the stove while she baked. I came in from the cold to nice warm chocolate cookies and milk.

The stove is really starting to pay for itself.

I'm sorry to hear you lost him. Sounds like you were both lucky people. I hope you found someone since then. You sound like a great person and someone should be able to enjoy life with you.

My wife does ask, "Do we need it?" and in her head I belive she asks herself will it make me happy. I try to do the same for her. This year I got her big Christmas gift 1st out of the October budget (Ipad2 she loves it). Usually she gets every body else first and I have to scramble and scrape to get her something decent.

I use naproxen myself when needed. I have a pulled muscle or torn something in my rt outer forearm.

Back