my wood burner setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
we turned the dinning room into the den,,before and after pics,,,,the cedar boards i put on the walls are only 6" wide,,that was a lot of work,,,,i put 2 layers of slate under the stove,1/2 thick each piece + 1/4 of cement per layer,,so total of 1 1/2" under the stove,,and the same slate on the walls,,12"x 12" pieces,,,run only 2 feet of black pipe out of the stove,,the rest to the cap is triple wall,,,all my clearances through the wall with the thimble is double then recommended,even the triple wall inside is 2x farther in then they recommended,,nothing like extra insurance,,,the 2" pvc pipe coming in the through the wall to the back of the stove is for fresh air,,it is ugly but it works,, ok, the chimney frame is 4x4's buried 2 feet in the ground with concrete,that makes the 4 corners and framed from the t/cleanout up is 2x4's,i believe we made the chimney framing 2'x2' with all treated lumber,, the cleanout/t is bolted to the framing and supported all the way up,,then covered in vinyl siding with the j channel on each corner,, the pic is an old 1,, we extended the vinyl al the way to about 6 inches from the bottom of the cap,,, which looks a lot better

home020.jpg

after8.jpg

006.jpg

there is 1/4" noncombustable between the slate and the drywall,,,we have 2 feet of clearance between the stove and the walls,,,there is a heat shield on the back of the stove which stove manufacturor says only 6" clearance needed,,the slate only gets warm to the touch,,has never gotten to hot not to be able to touch,,,we don't get the stove cranking because this house is so well insolated that we even have to open the windows halfway in the coldest of winter

Is there a ceiling fan in there? it would blow the heat around the house pretty well.

there is a blower on the back of the stove + we have ceiling fans + we use the central blower to move the warm air throughout the house,,,it stays VERY toasty in the whole house,,,last year i forgot and put a piece or 2 to much in and didn't have the windows open a tad,,went out to the shop for a couple of hours and came back in,,it was 90 degrees in the house:bang::bang:,,had to open every door and window to cool it off in here and still took an hour,,i think it was about 15-20 degrees out,,talking about sweating bullets,,had to sit on the back deck for a bit,,this stove is rated for 1700 square foot,,house is 1600 and it will run you out if you don't watch,,stove will handle 19" logs,,i cut mine 15-16 so i can have enough heat to keep creosote down but have plenty of heating

Last edited:
Is that PVC pipe your OAK? I highly doubt that is to code.

The reason is if you ever, for some reason, have a reverse draft that pipe will quickly melt and catch fire. It also looks like it gets pretty close to the stove, you might have a problem with that melting due to heat just during normal heating... if it were me I would definitely rethink the PVC pipe...

Is that PVC pipe your OAK? I highly doubt that is to code.

The reason is if you ever, for some reason, have a reverse draft that pipe will quickly melt and catch fire. It also looks like it gets pretty close to the stove, you might have a problem with that melting due to heat just during normal heating... if it were me I would definitely rethink the PVC pipe...

it isn't really code,,but out here codes don't mean a thing,,,that is the only thing that isn't code,,,it would really be hard to reverse draft because the stoves fresh air intake is baffeled inside the stove,,,,,but the end of the pvc is over 6" from the fresh air intake,,,so i really don't think there is an issue with it,,,but i do see what you mean and the possibilies

Looks great,hope the misses doesnt see these pics or I will be adding cedar wood like that in our den..

we are doing the kitchen in it right now and going to put the same cedar on the livingroom,,,we figured another 1000 to finish the kitchen and do the livingroom,,its a lot of money and work but it will look GOOD when it is done

Looks Good! You did a nice job on the wall. Just to be safe, I might be thinking of putting a short piece of steel pipe between the PVC and the stove. That stove will keep you nice and toasty this winter.

A. Converting Dining Room into Den with Wood Stove, I may have to sit down with wife tonight and discuss...GREAT IDEA!
B. Change the ceiling fixture in there to a small ceiling fan
C. Why only 27" high with slate and not 3 feet? I was thinking doing the same thing but going 3 tiles high just for added safety.
D. What did you say thatg PVC pipe was for?
E. I like those whole logs not split, lol, gonna get some nice hot long burns with those.

A. Converting Dining Room into Den with Wood Stove, I may have to sit down with wife tonight and discuss...GREAT IDEA!
B. Change the ceiling fixture in there to a small ceiling fan
C. Why only 27" high with slate and not 3 feet? I was thinking doing the same thing but going 3 tiles high just for added safety.
D. What did you say thatg PVC pipe was for?
E. I like those whole logs not split, lol, gonna get some nice hot long burns with those.

we wnet that high because of the looks,,,we looked at it higher and it didn't look just right,,
the pvc is for bring in fresh air from the outside,
we have a ceiling fan 15 feet from the stove in the livingroom,,+ there is a blower on the stove itself

we really didn't have to have the pipe coming in,,,heck we have to leave the windows open a bit to cool the house off:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

That link said that the only reason folks thought of using outdoor air supplies is to reduce smoke spillage, this is wrong. The real reason is that if you don't bring in outside air directly into the stove, it will come in through the walls and cool your home.

I would agree with that. I have never witnessed an outside air kit reducing spillage. In my sister's house they have a Jotul with a reburn system, and there are two 90's in the stove pipe. Sometimes it does not want to draw, and it draws much better if a window is cracked. In my opinion, an outside air kit should have the same effect as cracking a window, but maybe it doesn't

The woodheat.org has an opinion on outside air that has long been debunked and ridiculed. You need to look elsewhere for valid information regarding outside air supply for stoves.

I wouldn't have done it in PVC and I would have made the wall penetration much lower so you don't have to look at it. I used metal dryer venting pipe for my outside air supply. I love it for many reasons.

The stove has a 6" clearance requirement. After 6" you can have bare cedar, sheetrock, or PVC pipe though the PVC pipe being connected is not so wise.

That looks like a lot of stove for that space. Nice to have the extra power available I bet.

Latest posts

Back