my wood burner setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The woodheat.org has an opinion on outside air that has long been debunked and ridiculed. You need to look elsewhere for valid information regarding outside air supply for stoves.

I wouldn't have done it in PVC and I would have made the wall penetration much lower so you don't have to look at it. I used metal dryer venting pipe for my outside air supply. I love it for many reasons.

The stove has a 6" clearance requirement. After 6" you can have bare cedar, sheetrock, or PVC pipe though the PVC pipe being connected is not so wise.

That looks like a lot of stove for that space. Nice to have the extra power available I bet.

the output is equal to the footage for the house,,i think it is suppose to heat 1700 sq ft and we have 1600 sq ft home, but this is a new doublewide,,well new in 06,, it is so tight and insolated that this stove will really heat the WHOLE house and sometimes to much,, thats why we leave the windows open a few inches even if it is 10 degrees out
the pvc is not hooked up to the stove,it is directed down to the opening of the fresh air vent of the stove and is 6" from the vent opening,, so there is no direct connection,, i had to put it so high because of the wiring in the house, didn't want to cut through any wiring

Last edited:
I'm not saying that anybody needs outside air. I'm saying that the reasons not to use outside air are different than the drivel from that site. Go spend some time on, gasp, ********** to get more than an earful about this topic. The other good reading is at this link:

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hooa3.htm

Last I heard, all of Canada and all american mobile homes, plus several states including mine require the connection of an outside air supply to wood stoves.

I build houses, new houses are so air tight if you don't have outside air you're not gonna have a fire for long. I worked on a house last year that the owner couldn't get the fireplace to stay going, it turned out that the outside air went int the basement and never went outside. Fire was starved for air and would die right out. Open a window and awy it would go.

Drivel at WoodHeat.org?

Not hardly.

Here's the link again: http://woodheat.org/outdoorair/outdoorairmyth.htm

Here's a quoted section from the link I posted. Point out the drivel?

"It is sometimes assumed that taking air from outside through a duct saves energy because the stove doesn't use up indoor air and cause outdoor air to be drawn in through leaks to replace it. But the assumed heating deficit is so small as to be insignificant. The average air consumption of a modern wood heater is in the range of 10 - 25 cfm, which is very small compared to the natural leakage rate of houses. Building scientists say that the air in a house must be exchanged at least every three hours, or one-third of an airchange per hour, to control moisture from cooking and washing and to manage odors. One third of an air change in a 1500 square foot house is 4000 cubic feet, or 66 cfm. Note that this is the absolute minimum air change for healthy living and that most houses older than 20 years have natural leakage rates far higher than this in winter. So the air consumption of a wood stove is a tiny part of a much larger exchange of air between the house and outdoors."

Color me corrected, I didn't read the whole article.

Back