My 'wooding' kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was a slow day, I was bored, so I set up for some pics of the equipment that goes out with me.

002.jpg

All the stuff on the tailgate rides in the bed on the way out.

003-2.jpg

Never measured it, but there is 150' or more of cable in various lengths, 2 chains, 3 snachblocks. I used each and every one last year and a couple times came close to using the entire batch in one set-up.

004-2.jpg

Contents of the tool box. Not heavy on tools as I don't try to fix anythign except simple stuff out there. File, small screwdriver, spare shackle and clip, 2 24" chains, 1 20" and 1 16" chain. I forgot to show the 25" bar for the 310. Dunno where they get that 25" from, a 24" loop from my old 041 matches perfect with the one marked 25".

006.jpg

And the old fart that runs all that.

Now what is missing: Good first aid kit. I have a small one in the cab and a couple Kotex but that's about it. Other than scraped knuckles, barked shins and the like I have never needed anything out of the kit. What did bleed wasn't bad enough to do anything aobut out there.

The equipment is a gradual accumulation over 30 years. Two things I wish I had, and if I were starting out I would pinch pennies to add them right at the start.

1. Pickaroon.
2. Winch!! A good one!!

Almost forgot the stuff I use at home:

001-2.jpg

The 4-wheel moves the wood from those piles into the porch and woodshed. It is narrow enough to go through the door.

The big homemade one moves stuff around while I am working on splitting/stacking.

Harry K

Last edited:
Go get your check book

Go find Peaveymfg.com (I think it is).
You can order your pickeroon, hookeroon, etc.
Straight from the factory! Let me state that their stuff is 1st class.
I am a firm believer in the "handy hookeroon". Makes movin' wood lots easier.

You could also get the long handled version which makes roling the blocks out of the pickup much more fun!

Otherwise awsum setup. I never need that much cable. :chainsaw:

-Pat

cool setup ... your splitter looks interesting.

That was built in the company shop, #7 (and last) off the same plan we developed. Why we built them so low is a puzzle. Every year I say I am going to chop it apart during the winter and raise it to a decent level. May do it this year. Also have a problem with the motor - it needs an overhaul. It is a 5 or 5.5 hp 6x1 reduction driving a pump of unknown gallonage. By teh way the motor pulls down on a hard chunk I am guessing the gallongage is up there aways, the name plate is painted over so I can't tell. Debating replacing the motor with an 11 hp that only has about 10 hours use on it (direct drive).

When I built mine, I pushed the wheels/axle as far aft as possible to keep the mechanicals as much out of the way of the operator as possible. It is real nice for that but oh! that tongue weight. That is whyfore the trailer dolly to move it around.

Harry K

Jesus, man, I'm surprised I don't see a half-dozen sticks of dynamite in there somewhere! LOL! (Maybe its in that ammo box, though, eh?)

Love the splitter.

Jesus, man, I'm surprised I don't see a half-dozen sticks of dynamite in there somewhere! LOL! (Maybe its in that ammo box, though, eh?)

Love the splitter.

Firly unique. The shop used 4" slip tubing (no ridge inside) with a piece of 3 1/2" shoved inside as a stiffener for the tongues in our big field fertilizer applicators We built them up to 90 ft wide and all folded up to roadable width. We used that tubing set-up for the armature. As you can see, a hunk of 2" heavy wall tube had to added to the bottom to eliminate 'flex' on the beam. That is where the hydraulics came from.

About the only thing I would change one it is to build it higher. It's rather slow due to the 6x1 reduction motor but then so am I so we get along quite well together.

Ooops. I would definitely add 'in and outtake' tables to it.
Will be doing that if I tear it apart this winter.

Harry K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back