name that wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like standing dead RED ELM to me.

Sometimes the elm trees around me get some sort of disease and within a month from dying all the bark, curls off and falls on the ground. Its great as a fire starter wood, all stringy and loose..elm has a nice sweet smell that I like, but its a little light for keeping the fire going all night.

Also it pops and sparks a lot, but decent wood.

It's Honey Locust... In its dead, barkless form can resemble a dead Red Elm and the splits can resemble the grain of a Red Oak. If he cut it with the bark on, there would be no mistaking it...
The wood should be salmon colored with a relatively pronounced cambium layer around the outside. Though I've seen that get spalted and gray after its dead for a while...
Miserable stuff it is, if the thorny variety... But burns good once dry... Slow drying wood...

Looks like standing dead RED ELM to me.

Sometimes the elm trees around me get some sort of disease and within a month from dying all the bark, curls off and falls on the ground. Its great as a fire starter wood, all stringy and loose..elm has a nice sweet smell that I like, but its a little light for keeping the fire going all night.

Also it pops and sparks a lot, but decent wood.

Yup... Dry Elm can get that heat party started in a big hurry!!!

Anybody know what wood this.
amyhabut.jpg

pytepe6u.jpg

rabyheja.jpg

Pretty sure that's Ash, they're beginning to die around here too, Emerald Ash Borer.

Looks like the ash we have dead all over around here thanks to those dang EAB bugs. But then again the first pics from this thread appear to be elm to me like the stuff I have cut from the Dutch Elm Disease. But then again, where I come from the only honey locust we have is on the internet so I'm not too familiar with it.

Looks like the ash we have dead all over around here thanks to those dang EAB bugs. But then again the first pics from this thread appear to be elm to me like the stuff I have cut from the Dutch Elm Disease. But then again, where I come from the only honey locust we have is on the internet so I'm not too familiar with it.

I agree ash. bin cutting a lot of it around here. good burning wood. I call it want a be oak.

I don't remember right off the top of my head. Seems to me it didn't split to bad, or I wouldn't have split the crap. I just don't cut it very often, but I know it was full of water.

I know I scrounged some wood that looked just like that, it was next to ash that I also got. When I tried to halve it with the fiskers, the blade just sunk in with water pouring out. It needed the hydro splitter to split, and it was still tough. I went back to check other tree's in that location and there was a willow. So I am assuming this was a willow. Now dry the wood is light as a feather.

Latest posts

Back