Name your frustrations during repairs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never really been that frustrated with a saw, but i haven't split one apart yet.

There have been plenty of times that I felt like breaking out the hammer when working on my cars. I was doing the brakes on my wifes envoy. Everthing went fine until bleeding the brakes when murphys law showed up. When on the final wheel to bleed, the bleeder screw was sieze in there and snapped off. No way to get it out. I call the parts stores and the closest one 25 mins away has a replacement caliper in stock. Great drive out there and get it home, its the wrong side. Go back and get the correct one and finally ready to bled the last caliper, now i need more fluid. Won't even get into the fuel pump frustation with the envoy.

Now my 69 Camaro, well I could go on for days about that car. A simple edelbrock to holley carb swap took days and over couple hundred extra bucks all because i decided I wanted my fuel pressure regular right beside the carb and not on the inner fender. Now my air cleaner housing doesn't clear the fuel pressure regulator. Next problem, my Edelbrock performer rpm manifold has the vaccum fitting for the power brakes right under the bowl of the carb and guess what wont fit. Now I need a carb spacer to clear the fitting and I can't use a drop base air cleaner because of the fuel pressure regulator. So order a nice oval billet air cleaner, but the element is to small, so look around and the next biggest size is way to tall so I have one custom made. It arrives and now i need a smaller carb spacer so i can shut the cowl hood. All because I spent 80 bucks on a fuel pressure regulator kit to mount my regulator next to the carb.

Surprise at the end. Yep, got a "bad crank bearing" surprise just yesterday after fiddling with the fuel system on a nice looking 025 for a while. Now what do I do? New parts installed and saw is gong to be $$$ to fix.

Been there recently! I now own a concrete saw that I don't need or want and still needs to be fixed before it can be used.

How about replacing a gas line because you found a crack in it.Now the new yellow line in the tank and the gas filter end is much to small to fit over the filter.Hooking the primer bulb up ass backwards.How do I know this? Ken

I have a sm pair of crafstman looong tip needle nose pliers about 5" in total length. I put the nose inside the line and force open the pliers a little streching out the line ID then,.. "quick, quick like a bunny" slip it over the nipple you need to, filter, carb / whatever. Works every time .

What ya got????

Stihl TS350 Super. Guy brought it to me with a roached p/c. I put a new after market top end in it and rebuilt the carb. I didn't notice anything unusual until I took the starter off to wind the spring a little tighter. Not surprisingly, the guy didn't want to fix it. Next time I do a concrete saw, I'll check the crank bearings first.

To be honest, I think my biggest frustration is when I'm working on somebody else's equipment for pay when I'd really rather be working on my own stuff for fun. My PM700 comes to mind. Poor thing's been sitting on my bench in pieces for two months. Since I started, I've pulled off that to fix a scooter, a boat motor, a couple concrete saws, several snow blowers, three or four chainsaws... well you get the idea.

I think Mark nailed it with a one word answer.

I hate small flying parts(circlips and springs). After losing a few I now will place a clear bag over my work piece and work inside the bag, contains pretty much anything that wants to fly away. Working on anything after hours, you will invariably break, lose or need something and now the store is closed.

I've seen people fight intake boots and tear them trying to remove a carb. Easy solution is to take the jug off the remove the boot.

Doing a simple pickup body swap-out on a Stihl oil line only to pull the hose out far enough to the point where the other end falls into the tank! Then it's time to take out the clutch and oil pump! Argh! Yeah, Stihl may be an OK saw, in the field, but design-wise I don't much care for them. In the above scenario, the oil suction hose only needs to be an inch longer and things would be easy as pie.

This is more of a frustration after repair . Its when people leave there stuff at your place after its repaired until they need it and let you keep you money tied up on parts instead of there's .

When you do a repair and think your good and figure out later that you have a problem. Frustrating. Live and learn. I guess that's why they call it experience.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

A little thread resurrection here but I hate when you finish a project and something else breaks. Example my 61/272 is pretty much done went to assembling the saw and noticed an intake bolt wouldn't tighten up. Stripped the threads :bang: now it's time to figure out how to fix them.

I'm always forgetting to install the guide bar plates on saws that use them. Get the bar and chain on and tightened up and look down and see the guide bar plates laying there on my bench. Another is when people bring me saw to work on with bar covers on them. I can never remember to put them back on , or which one goes on who's when I do think about it. .

Without a doubt the most frustrating thing I go through while working on anything be it saws,cars,tractors you name it is that I have a horrible habit of putting a tool down to do something and then I spend 5 minutes looking around where I put the damn thing. For whatever reason I never pay attention to where I put the tool because I am thinking about what I am going to do next. I get all pissed off looking than BAM! It's right under my nose.:bang:

I do the exact same thing. Only I also have trouble seeing it too. I blame it on CRS.

What was this about again?

Latest posts

Back