Narrow kerf bars, how well do they work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a husky 246 with an 18" .058 guage bar that needs replacing. This saw is a firewood saw. Is there a noticeable difference when using a narrow kerf bar and chain on a small high reving saw like this? How durable and long lasting are they? thanks

MOE said:
I have a husky 246 with an 18" .058 guage bar that needs replacing. This saw is a firewood saw. Is there a noticeable difference when using a narrow kerf bar and chain on a small high reving saw like this? How durable and long lasting are they? thanks

Durable????? NOPE
Long Lasting??? NOPE

Just my opinion stick with .058"
Scott

.050 is very common on Stihls all the way up to 066's. Lasts just fine...

If you want .043, it's only rated for less then 2hp. Cuts real well...

I cant be model specific on the Husky's because of my ignorance of that line but I have been playing with Oregon ,325 .050 narrow kerf chains a bit, called 95VP and micro light bars. My opinion of them is that the system is best used under 50CC, I believe that is how Oregon markets them. I also believe that it belongs on a limbing saw where a person has another saw to fell, chew through large knots, dig in the dirt etc. Think of Oregon's system like a high speed scalpel as compared to an ax (your old 3/8 setup) A bit delicate but darn fast and takes little power. The saw that has the most use is our Echo 400EVL that originally came out on .325 chain. I'm not into saw sciences so I didn't put a watch on it but suffice it to say it cut notably faster than with either Stihl RS .325 (old stock boys) or Oregon's std 325 offering that I don't know the number of due to CRS. The old Echo isn't a power house even for it's size but the big change came when I got brave and slipped an 8 tooth rim on it, now it's top shelf limber. My experience with the Echo led me to try it on a 112 Dolmar that I just got running before I walked in tonight. A 112 is 3.1 cubes this one was seized and I installed a new cylinder and piston, seals, carb kit and a new Oregon micro light 16" combo. The 112 has a std spline clutch and the smallest rim is 9 teeth for 325 so the chain speed is going to be high. Saw was started first time tonight and I intended to just let it run a bit but the woodpile beckoned and I put it in the wood. Cutting semi dry split cherry, about 6-8" stuff the saw simply falls through it with 5 minutes run time on the new motor. The 112 is going to be real fast when broken in and I get at that 95VP with my files.

I guess to answer your questions, Yes the narrow kerf chain is fast, real fast when you take the chain speed up also. Its not heavy duty although I guess that depends on the power behind it too? For a guy who takes two or more saws to the woods I highly recommend it on his light saws. For the one saw fire wood cutter? probably not unless he is more careful than Joe average firewood cutter.

i posted earlier on this but i don't know where.

anyway, i put a ArborPRO Narrow Kerf Bar & WoodsmanPRO .325 Pitch Narrow Kerf Saw Chain on an old special 50 that's thinks it's much bigger.

great for the small stuff, and the soft stuff. love it for limbing.

this little chain heats up quick when bucking larger logs. bar's like a butter knife.

i like the ways it flies, but i doubt i would set up my only saw with it.

fun to play with, that's about it, really.

Chainsaw Master said:
Its a 346xp.....

I did not know you could run low profile 3/8 on 346xp. I bet it really cuts well. Where did you get the 3/8 low profile sprocket or rim for the saw? I did not know they were making any for that size saw.
Rob

95vp

cuttinscott said:
Durable????? NOPE
Long Lasting??? NOPE
Scott
Durable and longlasting enough.:blob2:

I have been bucking birch for hours at a pretty fast rate with it on my 353, without the slightest sign of problems.
Just give it enough oil and keep the tension right (as you should with any chain), and it works great.

My bars have been Em ("Original" E-lux), not Oregon, but I don't think that makes a difference.

I have found the oregon narrow kerf bars to be equally durable to most other laminated bars. The pro-lites are a little better. The NK bars do flex a bit more but I have done plenty of hardwood felling and bucking (bigger stuff than this saw/bar/chain was really intended for) with a 353 husky and have never broken a chain or had a problem. Staysharp with the 95vp is excellent. I tried the narrow kerf setup on my dolmar 5100s and in bigger hardwood chisel chain is faster (particularly stihl rs). I think around 4.0hp is the spot where chisel chain starts to be faster than narrow kerf.

Sounds like I'm best off staying with stock .058 .325. I cut a lot of dead oak for fire wood.

I say buy the nk set up if you like the standard better you can use the same bar and put on a .050 standard kerf chain. Bailey has a special for a 18" nk bar and chain for 20 bucks. How can you go wrong?

Lucky
AKA Buck

rjh245 said:
I did not know you could run low profile 3/8 on 346xp. I bet it really cuts well. Where did you get the 3/8 low profile sprocket or rim for the saw? I did not know they were making any for that size saw.
Rob

Rob, I do believe, I just used the regular 3/8 sprocket.....maybe I have to look...I brought in home from the dealer set up this way.

I am sure that I have read somewhere that the lo-pro 3/8" use different sprockets from regular 3/8 due to different (smaller) drive tangs, but I am not sure it is true.
It may be a misconseption based on the fact that Stihl makes 3/8" lo-pro sprockets for their "mini" splines.

I just ordered the carlton bar and chain from bailys. I post results when I get a chance to compare.

MOE said:
I just ordered the carlton bar and chain from bailys. I post results when I get a chance to compare.
Yea me too/ 18" Carlton® Bar & Chain Combo
Item No: BC 18SJ72

MOE said:
hydro2 said:
Yea me too/ 18" Carlton® Bar & Chain Combo
Item No: BC 18SJ72
As that is a narrow kerf combo, I suggest that you get a 95VP chain also, and make some comparisons between the chains (cutting speed and smoothness in the cut).
:D

Back