Narrow kerf bars, how well do they work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll said:
As that is a narrow kerf combo, I suggest that you get a 95VP chain also, and make some comparisons between the chains (cutting speed and smoothness in the cut).
:D

I second this notion. I just got mine last night and the included Carlton chain has anti-kickback bumpers between each tooth which are not present on the 95VP or Woodsman Pro NK chain. Therefore, I'm pretty sure 95VP will provide a faster smoother cut.

KarlP said:
I second this notion. I just got mine last night and the included Carlton chain has anti-kickback bumpers between each tooth which are not present on the 95VP or Woodsman Pro NK chain. Therefore, I'm pretty sure 95VP will provide a faster smoother cut.
I had no idea it came with a safety chain. No wonder they were giving it away.:(

What I thought of, was a comparison between the Oregon 95VP and the Woodsman Pro NK chain without safety bumpers on the tie straps.

The 95VP is also a "low kickback" chain, but the small ramps on the driver in front of the rakers does not slow cutting down like the safety "bumper" tie straps do.

I find that a narrow bar/chain gets pinched a little worse than a regular bar when cutting compression wood. I just need to watch a little closer for movement.

The narrow chain cuts pretty fast...

sawn_penn said:
I find that a narrow bar/chain gets pinched a little worse than a regular bar when cutting compression wood. I just need to watch a little closer for movement. ...
I have to admit that I have heard that before, but I have not been able to figure out why it is so, if it really is so. :confused:

Back