Narrow Kerf chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Bailey's WoodsmanPro 20NK or any other brand of Narrow Kerf chain be it Oregon, Carlton, Stihl etc., what do you think of it ?

1- How much narrower is 20NK compared to WoodsmanPr0 20 RC or 23RC?

2 How is the cut ?

3- How is it to sharpen?

4- Does its edge last as long as standard .325 pitch chain ?

5- Does it cut as fast or is it slower ?

6- How would it compare to Stihl RS chain in .325 pitch ?

My Husky 345 uses the same NK chain, another version is Oregon VP95. Going with the 20NK I all ready got for my Husky on my new Shindawia 377 I just got, as I am spoiled on the NK.

Narrow Kerf seems to be way underrated! :blob2:

If Carlson or Oregon will come up with the bars they advertise.

It cuts faster.

I haven't tried the 20nk but the oregon 95vp is awesome. It cuts very smooth, is more forgiving to sharpen,and holds it edge longer than chisel chain. On a stock 50cc saw I think it is as faster than anything out there. The only bad thing I can say is you have to be a little more careful because it binds a little easier when limbing and it is harder to drive a wedge in a backcut because the kerf is so narrow. Try a loop and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ill agree with the other posters.. it gives added capability to my 026.95vp when it applies .. for me.. have wondered how it would be on my bigger saws ,but usually dont fool with whats working real good now,on them.. 3/8 full chisel

Lobo, you already know what I think of it! ;) Fast, smooth, good stay-sharp, etc!

I think any binding problems when limbing may be related to the use of standard .050 bars instead of spesial NK ones in combination with NK chain.

My experience is with 95vp/H30/S30, and Husky's Norwegian made NK bars. I have not tried Carlton bar & chain, or Oregon Micro-lite bars.

My Oregon Microlite bar for my Shindawia 377 came yesterday, have a new NK20 chain ready to go! :blob2:

I notice that Stihl lists PMN chain (Picco Minni narrow) and rollomatic mini bars for the narrow kerf chain. There site says 13% faster than PM. Guess I'll have to try some on the 210 just for giggles.

Butch(OH) said:
I notice that Stihl lists PMN chain (Picco Minni narrow) and rollomatic mini bars for the narrow kerf chain. There site says 13% faster than PM. Guess I'll have to try some on the 210 just for giggles.
Butch, PM and PMN is 3/8" lo-profile in .050 and .043 gauge respectively.
The other NK chain discussed are .325", so it isn't quite the same discussion. I think the kerf of PM is pretty narrow as is, and don't think you would want it even narrower. But it is of course your money.................
Stihl doesn't offer .325 NK chain.

well somebody needs to clue stihl in on this type set up.. i run 95 vp on my 026..
its not in my opinion the setup for everyday use ,as the bars to thin.. but for my use which can be pretty often .. i love it..still a full chisel chain rs ,lg etc is still plent good on this saw.. jmo

Back