Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically no one knows if it even has a liner. To me that's the first question needing answered. When you look from outside of the house at the chimney top, what do you see. Post a pic.
Someone is gonna have to pull covers off and look up the chimney. Or get on the roof and look down the chimney. Post pics.

Looks like its 6 philips head screws to pull that cover off? Knock those out and lets look at it. The suspense is killing me

So basically no one knows if it even has a liner. To me that's the first question needing answered. When you look from outside of the house at the chimney top, what do you see. Post a pic.
Someone is gonna have to pull covers off and look up the chimney. Or get on the roof and look down the chimney. Post pics.

Tswarner67 said:

I hired him for a cleaning and inspection. He didn’t touch it, open it or look at . Said he didn’t know if it had a liner or not, didn’t know if it had a damper or not, that I should take it apart then tell him. He went straight to saying “it’s old and inefficient , wouldn’t be worth burning , I can install a new one”. So other than stating things he didn’t know if I did or did not have on my burner he didn’t really say what was wrong with it. He did climb the roof and said the chimney looked clean , and the stone looked good. I guess I get the liability of if he touches it he could be liable but from my aspect I was left with very little to pursue. I had a family friend who installs them look and he said let it rip. So that’s why I’m here , just trying to gather information and understand what to look for or what is “right”. Insurance company did look at closing and had no concerns with it.

Bolded text was added by me.(Stumpy75)

Hmmm... Seems to me, he was looking for a stove sale. Taking a look at it from below, while looking at the entire installation should tell a lot, including if there is a liner.

Tswarner67 said:

I hired him for a cleaning and inspection. He didn’t touch it, open it or look at . Said he didn’t know if it had a liner or not, didn’t know if it had a damper or not, that I should take it apart then tell him. He went straight to saying “it’s old and inefficient , wouldn’t be worth burning , I can install a new one”. So other than stating things he didn’t know if I did or did not have on my burner he didn’t really say what was wrong with it. He did climb the roof and said the chimney looked clean , and the stone looked good. I guess I get the liability of if he touches it he could be liable but from my aspect I was left with very little to pursue. I had a family friend who installs them look and he said let it rip. So that’s why I’m here , just trying to gather information and understand what to look for or what is “right”. Insurance company did look at closing and had no concerns with it.

Hmmm... Seems to me, he was looking for a stove sale. Taking a look at it from below, while looking at the entire installation should tell a lot, including if there is a liner.
I agree with Stumpy....And when I mentioned "someone" I should have been direct and said the OP should look and see for himself.

Now back out them screws and send us some pics.

So I pulled it out tonight and yep , damper is there but leads straight into brick chimney. No liner . So I’ll be looking to install or get one installed . I am not too concerned with moving to the newest stove at this time .

So I pulled it out tonight and yep , damper is there but leads straight into brick chimney. No liner . So I’ll be looking to install or get one installed . I am not too concerned with moving to the newest stove at this time .
I will post pics tomorrow . Apologies on delay, works been crazy 12 hour days since mid September hah.

Tswarner67 said:

If he inspected and cleaned it, how could he not know if there was a liner?

If he inspected and cleaned it, how could he not know if there was a liner?

My thoughts too. I think that sweep was trying to make a stove sale...

So, if there is a section of pipe directing the smoke up the masonry chimney, as long as the masonry chimney is ok, I don't see the need for a liner. Yes, a liner will be a better installation, but IMHO, it's not needed. Now that it's open, have a different sweep out to look at it and actually clean and inspect the masonry chimney? If that sweep says it's ok, then go with it.

Latest posts

Back