nasty winds cause a "leaner"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's the ugly part

It was quite amazing to watch actually. The ground would heave up about 3 feet on one side of the tree then fall back into place when the wind subsided. Eventually the turf tore open and it didn't fall back into it's place.

My first impression was that ain't so bad. Until I saw your second root photo.
It still might not be too difficult to drop it. depending on the cutters nerve. Usually you would just cut a notch, doesn't even have to be very wide. Then start the cut on the back side. First sign of movement and you boogie.

-Pat

root removal

If you wanted to remove the root wad too.
Could just do a little digging and cutting with axe or project chain from the back and use the lever arm (tree) for stump removal.
This might be reasonable on a tree this size.

I see a tractor in the background. Might be enough leverage with the bucket raised to it's fullest to push that root-shook tree over. As Smoke suggested, snip the roots and get it out rootwad and all.

More nasty winds today might just finish it off for you. I would keep that area cordoned off to keep people and kids out of harms way.

I would imagine that a few arborists here might suggest righting and guying the tree to try and save it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

If the best solution is to cut it down I'll just push it over the rest of the way and get rid of it, but i was mostly interested in saving it.

If my tractors don't have enough muscle to stand it straight, then I can borrow a neighbors tractor or excavator.

If the right equipment is not a problem, what would you do?

Thanks

Steve

Why not try to save it? Can you pull it straight and leave a rope or cable on it for a year? I've had good luck transplanting spruces, and that's got to be more stressfull than what your spruce is going through. Give it lots of water this summer and give the roots a chance to reestablish themselves. I've got a similar situation, but it's a tree among many and I'm going to cut it down, mainly cause it's in my campground and the liability and all. If it was a tree in my backyard, I'd try to salvage it.
I better add that I am not an expert and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Righting and guying IS an option...but it would take a few years before I would feel entirely sanguine about removing the cable. It seems like once roots are disturbed it take quite a while to restabilize things(this is based upon my own limited experience with guying wind thrown trees). Simplest course is removal but best course probably depends upon the level of your desire to save the tree. It will almost certainly cost more to guy it properly than it will to remove it.

Shove a stick of dynamite with a long fuse under the root ball and blow it up.
Or maybe a block and tackle would give you some extra force so you could right it with your tractor then cable it. Just some whacky ideas to keep things going.:greenchainsaw:

fmueller said:
Shove a stick of dynamite with a long fuse under the root ball and blow it up.
Or maybe a block and tackle would give you some extra force so you could right it with your tractor then cable it. Just some whacky ideas to keep things going.:greenchainsaw:

The wife doesn't let me play with exposives anymore...apparently it's "childish".

As the tree and its lean has no being the danger for house or another expensive objects, may be its lean correction and the following cabling from three directions (main cable from contraside to lean and the secondary cables from the cross-directions to lean) and some mulch and keeping soil moist...etc. has a sense. But the beetles (and funguses) like to attack damaged trees with insufficient moisture and minerals support...
Anyways, the roots of such old tree will regrow with decade(s) not during year(s)

Looking again at the pictures. Sadly enough, I believe the tree is a goner. Dig and snip the roots, push it over with a tractor. Or don't snip the roots if you can use some other machine to push it over where you're safe from being upset by roots coming out of the ground.

b1rdman, if it were mine, I would try to keep it around. 4- 5' or 6' earth anchors. Try to pull upright(without shredding cambium) and lash er down. Lots and water and mulch. Worst case is cut it down later. $$$$ to replant that size spruce. Its really amazing how much trees want to live.

pinus said:
Anyways, the roots of such old tree will regrow with decade(s) not during year(s)
I agree, the guys will need to be permanent.
It might be possible to pull the tree straight by excavating soil out from under the up hill side and gently pulling it back. If you just try to pull it back straight, you'll break roots on the other side before you straighten it. You might want to just guy it as it is.
If nothing else, you could plant another tree and then remove this one in a few years after the new tree is established and growing fast.

final solution

Put a pinic table under it and double dog dare it. She'll come down quick then, so when you're moving the table under be sure and watch the tree and have a back-up escape route.

tree

nice looking tree looks like it has a schoolmarm anyhow not natural for a spruce, must of had the top broken when it was young.
I think a guy line would only buy you a few years, if you want the stump out
and you have a big machine do it anyway you want. if your machine size is limited pull or push it over with the tree attatched to the stump it will help break the roots off. Then cut the tree off, the root will probably pop back in the hole but you will have broken most of the roots. Looks like you could burn the limbs right there and cut the rest up for firewood. spruce is not my favorite to burn but i don't mind it.

Back