Need 338xp Parts Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigUglySquirrel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all-
Posted this a while back, but no responses. Figured I'd give it another shot. Need a 338xpt for parts. I've heard that some guys have had suicide issues with them and thought maybe there are a few out there that have a good engine in them that are not slated for repair (broken handle...whatever.) Basicly need a good engine and a spare starter cover would be handy. Thanks all!

I refuse to buy em. I'll take my time with a bowsaw before buying those things. besides, wheres the antivibe system on them?

First of all, this is the unofichal stihl forum so I guess that will say a bit.
These saws are not Sweden made, nor was the 38.

I take them over a 200 any day!

Good sirs-

I OWN a very well used 020T (last year before the model number change, I do belive.) Love the saw, run it with a 16" bar. I run the Husky 338XPT with a 14" bar. Have 3 of them. Boss has 2. Friend in Florida has a VERY well used one. Minimal issues with any of them. (CDI ((lifetime warranty if you've done your homework)) and oiler mostly. They've fixed the rear cap.) Also have an Echo CS300 (12" bar) and the CS346 (14" bar) with top handle conversion. Both Echo saws way underpowered, but more reliable than your ole lady chewin' yer hide on poker night. Fact is, I use ALL of them for various tasks. And here's the clincher:

The 200T (020T)may be a great saw, but no matter what you or anyone else says, that 338XPT is right up there with it. And if that chapped yer kiester, try this. Those Echo's will ALWAYS start easier. That's fact jack..take it to the grave. And since you've pulled me into this little rant, I don't care who it pizzes off, The ONLY Stihl saw that compares to a Husqvarna is the 020T/200T. They make a really good trim saw. You can take those 440/460/660/880's and cram 'em in the chipper. I'll take my 372 and 395 ANY DAY. Port em..polish em...mod that muffler. I don't care. Stihl has been riding on their rep and not their saws for awhile now. Sorry if that hurt a bit..but I've run em and THEY ARE CRAP.

BigUglySquirrel said:
Furthermore--

If they are "all parts saws".....WHY THE HELL CAN'T I SEEM TO GET ANYONE TO COME OFF OF ONE?!?!

because the 3 i had .....i tossed in the trash.....i'm a husky guy through and through but an ms200 cant be beat. i had the first generation 335's and had such bad luck with them, i said never again.

i'll check with a friend, i think i saw a few sitting in the rain by the side of his tool shed. does it have to be a 338 or will a 335 do?

BigUglySquirrel said:
I don't care who it pizzes off, The ONLY Stihl saw that compares to a Husqvarna is the 020T/200T. They make a really good trim saw. You can take those 440/460/660/880's and cram 'em in the chipper. I'll take my 372 and 395 ANY DAY. Port em..polish em...mod that muffler. I don't care. Stihl has been riding on their rep and not their saws for awhile now. Sorry if that hurt a bit..but I've run em and THEY ARE CRAP.

Wrong place for a troll !!! :rolleyes:

First off--
I agree with the statement that 335's are crap. :) So I'm not really interested in them, but a 338 would be right up my alley. Thanks for scouting for me!

On the "troll" post. I'm not trying to inflame anyone's brand loyalty hemorrhoid. I'm simply telling you my opinion on the matter. Now if I was bowing down and praising St. Augustus like so many of the fellas here, you wouldn't have made that comment. I posted an ad for parts for my saws. Other people made a few initial comments...which doesn't make them bad people or jerks or whatever...but I have the right to like my saws regardless of what others think of them and state my opinions...whether others like to hear them or not. I'M the troll? hmmm

troll, you gotta love it. some people have too much time on their hands to invent such terms. i need a small saw, what u want for youre patrts one?

Really would like to hang on to it. Still have 2 other 338's in service so even if I don't find a saw to get this one going, I can use it to "emergency transplant" to the others. Thanks for the offer, though.

BigUglySquirrel said:
First off--
I agree with the statement that 335's are crap. :) So I'm not really interested in them, but a 338 would be right up my alley. QUOTE]

I don't get it...my only 338 is pretty much a dud. perhaps this was due to it not liking the mods which DozerDan did to it. It won't keep up with my 335 Cali with dual port muffler. And lately, it has quit running correctly, perhaps it only needs a carb clean and tune.....

I have perservered with these saws from the very start, back when they were fraught with problems, mostly oiler and starting issues. Both problems are long solved.

Of the first three 335's I had, one was a screamer.
Bone stock, it would outcut any 020T I tried it against. Next, I got a Walkerized 335, which ran great for 1.5 years before developing starting and idling issues.

The best 335 I've ever had is the one I received from RAH for a song....With dual port muffler, it is a beast, easily 20% faster than an 020T, and faster than the similarly modded 335 Cali. And it starts easily, idles perfectly, and restarts when hot.

Based on Dan's report after he modded the 338, which described an odd boot design, and the way it performs, I have avoided buying another one. Perhaps I will try when the need arises, based on your experiences. I do have a brand new 335 Cali waiting, but dont like that saw as much. It is too detuned for its engine size to be very impressive, (ports and carb too small) and perhaps due to the larger displacement, requires a harder pull on the starter rope.

I disagree with your report on Stihl's, and feel they are fine saws...especially the 066, the older ones with the stock dual muffler. It is the highest performance stock saw ever made, I think. And the only bone stock saw I run. It also outclasses the 395, in power and weight. But, having run and owned either muffler modded or partially woods modded 036 and 044's, I prefer my 346-G, 357 EHP, 372 Walkerized, and Dolmar PP 7900. Have never run an 088, but my 3120-G is fabulous, thanks Dennis!

Still holding off on getting my new 346 modded by Ed, as I patiently wait for the Dolmar 5000 to hit our shores. Plus, since I got that amazing 357 from Ed, the 346 gets less use.

rbtree said:
The best 335 I've ever had is the one I received from RAH for a song....With dual port muffler, it is a beast, easily 20% faster than an 020T, and faster than the similarly modded 335 Cali. And it starts easily, idles perfectly, and restarts when hot.

Glad to see that the 335 I sold you is still going strong and also glad to see you back posting!!! ;)

Latest posts

Back