Need 338xp Parts Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I will admit that my familiarity with Stihls is limited to the newer breeds. And I've not had any saws modded so I can't comment there. I'm sure the older Stihls run better than the new ones (EPA) but all the Stihls I've run seem to dog out in the bigger wood. We've got an 880 and you have to baby it through bigger wood. It's running a 36" Duromatic and 3/8 RKS (i think) chain. We changed the sprocket but I'm not certain of the count on it. The thing just plain ole don't have the grunt that a Husky has. You have to help support it as it's cutting...if you try to set the dogs and crank through a little she slips the clutches. We've got a 395 w/32" bar that you can lean on with out dogging it out. It doesn't make sense to me! It just seems that ALL the Stihls are made that way. Maybe it's just me... And does modding a small saw make that big a difference? I've got a 338 that would be a perfect candidate as a test mule, but I wonder if the 020T would be a better gain after modding. (I really like having that 16" bar for remove-alls) I've got a 372 that I want to have done, it's already a great saw...my guess it could only get better. Anyway..that's all for my rant for now...got a little OT but oh well. :)

Oh...on the 335. I ran one, the boss went through a few and one of our other climbers has used them. We all agree they could be a lot better. In all fairness, none of us have touched one in some time (338 just seemed the better way) So I can't comment on any improvements they might have made. I can say that at least one of the 335's Tim had was a Cali and he had no love for it. He absolutely loves his 338's tho.

im happy with my 338 cali,its a better shaped saw than a 20t,sounds ten times better,better balanced saw.PERIOD after all there both pee-shooters lets not kid ourselves!

Latest posts

Back