need a bigger saw please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlboy

Guess who's back
Reaction score
i need a larger stihl, im mainly looking at 044 and 046's but i am interested in 066's and 088's. i need the saw to be in good running condition because i have 100acres of woods and my 029 doesn't cut well enough for me anymore. if you have any of these saws and are willing to part with it, pm me the model and price and i will get back to you very soon thanks

What kind of money are you looking at spending? Thats a key question to getting a reply and better information.

Probably not going to get anything larger than an 066 that's decent for $600 or less. Maybe you should check out a used Husky 394 or 395.

i don't know i am very partial to stihl i have yet to have a problem with my saws that wasn't a quick fix but i guess it wont kill me to look by the way what is cad?

I wanted a 460 in a bad way not so long ago, I just couldn't bring myself to fork out the 850.00 for one, so I started looking at alternatives and I found Dolmar. So for the price of a new 361 I got a new 7900 that performs like a 460 and then some, the weight is a little heavier than the 290 you have, but in the ball park, I had a 310. It's the first time I can remember that I cheaped out and it payed off, Im extremely happy with that saw, smooth, fast and managable. Check em out at least if you still feel you need the Stihl you'd better go that way. But the Dolmar is worth the look:cheers:

i don't know i am very partial to stihl i have yet to have a problem with my saws that wasn't a quick fix but i guess it wont kill me to look by the way what is cad?

Cad is: Chainsaw Aquisition Disorder. It starts out innocently enough. I have one saw, I need another in case I get that one hung up in a tree. then it goes to I need more power, this little saw doesn't have enough power to cut any faster. Then it goes to, I need a smaller saw to limb with...yeah that's it, I need a limbing saw:hmm3grin2orange: THEN, it is ...I need a BIGGER saw than the bigger saw I bought earlier.

Some (most) with wife/ girlfriends on here then have to start justifying the purchaces of all of these saws.

And on and on it goes. That is the short version of CAD.

7900 dolmar, husky 2100, 394, stihl 066,084, mcculloch sp105,125, homelite 1050,2100,750,650, solo 681.
The 084 might push the price a bit but it will really satisfy and parts still can be had, same for the stills, husky's, dolmar and solo on parts. The others are older and parts are a bit rarer but you can afford a lot more displacement for the cash. If you can repair your own saws and are on a budget then I would reccomend one of the classic american muscle saws. The sound of these monsters is a feature unto itself.

If you got a 046 like you said, its a really great saw. Should cut most anything you would need. Should pull a 32" bar no prob. How big of trees you cutting?

If you got a 046 like you said, its a really great saw. Should cut most anything you would need. Should pull a 32" bar no prob. How big of trees you cutting?

well i don't have the 044 046 066 or 088, these are mainly what i want.
these trees range from 1foot diameter to 4-5foot and can get up to 150+ feet tall, so cutting one down and cutting it up really starts to work on your back if you dont have a fast powerful saw

Cad is: Chainsaw Aquisition Disorder. It starts out innocently enough. I have one saw, I need another in case I get that one hung up in a tree. then it goes to I need more power, this little saw doesn't have enough power to cut any faster. Then it goes to, I need a smaller saw to limb with...yeah that's it, I need a limbing saw:hmm3grin2orange: THEN, it is ...I need a BIGGER saw than the bigger saw I bought earlier.

Some (most) with wife/ girlfriends on here then have to start justifying the purchaces of all of these saws.

And on and on it goes. That is the short version of CAD.

wonderful i was hoping that is not what it is. i started out on this site with just the 029SFB and look at me now.... i think its safe to say i too have caught C.A.D!!

well i don't have the 044 046 066 or 088, these are mainly what i want.
these trees range from 1foot diameter to 4-5foot and can get up to 150+ feet tall, so cutting one down and cutting it up really starts to work on your back if you dont have a fast powerful saw

Thats some big trees. Although you could get them down with a 70cc saw. 5ft tree needs a 36" bar in my opionion with a 90cc+ behind it.

If you want a 460/046 I'd say get one while you can find them fairly easily. Watch the trading post on here, they pop up now and again.
I love the versatility of mine, it normaly wears a 25" but I have a 32" for it when needed. They are a heavy beast though, a good day of felling and bucking will wear on you!
The 440 is a good saw, but getting hard and expensive to find now.
If Stihl is the only way you want to go, look hard for an 046, get the dual port muffler cover, tune it out and be happy.

If you want a 460/046 I'd say get one while you can find them fairly easily. Watch the trading post on here, they pop up now and again.
I love the versatility of mine, it normaly wears a 25" but I have a 32" for it when needed. They are a heavy beast though, a good day of felling and bucking will wear on you!
The 440 is a good saw, but getting hard and expensive to find now.
If Stihl is the only way you want to go, look hard for an 046, get the dual port muffler cover, tune it out and be happy.

I was under the impression that.............Oh never mind......

I was under the impression that.............Oh never mind......

I don't think that going from a 260 to a 660 or an 084, would be that good of an idea for him right now.

As bad as I hurt from lugging that 046 yesterday, I know I don't want a 660 for a firewood saw!

I don't think that going from a 260 to a 660 or an 084, would be that good of an idea for him right now.

As bad as I hurt from lugging that 046 yesterday, I know I don't want a 660 for a firewood saw!

i have a pretty young back im 18 but i hate sitting around waiting for the 029 to cut through things

i have a pretty young back im 18 but i hate sitting around waiting for the 029 to cut through things

Going from an 029 to an 044/440 will leave you suitably impressed. Stepping up to 046/460 or 066/660 will get more power at the price of weight. You'll find the weight of the 044/440 more manageable for lots of cutting, but the 046/460 and 066/660 will get the job done in the really big stuff. BTW, aftermarket big bore kits are available for all of the above to further enhance power.

Latest posts

Back