Need a good list of saws to spend some doe on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm bout to hit up a few pawn shops and get some more stuff and was wondering if someone could give me a good list of some good work horse kinda saws I should look for right now this is my current list I think

Stihl 440
Stihl ms290
Husky 345

If you're looking for a 345, you should skip that and aim for a 350/353/346xp

350 has adjustable oiler, at least the later iterations.

I agree 100%. But if you don't find good used 50cc saws then look at Echo cs 4910. Like the cs-590, the cs 4910 is best bang for the buck saw imo. For all intentional purposes the 4910 is same as cs 501p but for le$$.

350 has adjustable oiler, at least the later iterations.

I've had a 345 for quite a few years, works as a limbing/ spare type saw. I recently picked up a somewhat thrashed, but still running good, Husqvarna 55... it is superior in every way, easy to find, and generally go for about the same price.

Sorry, I thought that list was of saws the OP owned, not ones that he wanted. If I was trying to put together a serviceable collection of used saws for some major work it would likely be the Husky 55 that I mentioned for a small saw, and something like a 365 or 272, or maybe even a 288. All the saws mentioned are common and generally go fairly cheap in my area. I would not have to wait very long to get a decent deal on these saws.

The other option would be to get a couple Echo 590's and just go get-er-done.

I agree 100%. But if you don't find good used 50cc saws then look at Echo cs 4910. Like the cs-590, the cs 4910 is best bang for the buck saw imo. For all intentional purposes the 4910 is same as cs 501p but for le$$.
Last time I went they had a **** ton of used saws they had like 4 poulans 6 stihls and then some Chinese stuff I think maybe a echo top handle can't quite remember

I've had a 345 for quite a few years, works as a limbing/ spare type saw. I recently picked up a somewhat thrashed, but still running good, Husqvarna 55... it is superior in every way, easy to find, and generally go for about the same price.

Sorry, I thought that list was of saws the OP owned, not ones that he wanted. If I was trying to put together a serviceable collection of used saws for some major work it would likely be the Husky 55 that I mentioned for a small saw, and something like a 365 or 272, or maybe even a 288. All the saws mentioned are common and generally go fairly cheap in my area. I would not have to wait very long to get a decent deal on these saws.

The other option would be to get a couple Echo 590's and just go get-er-done.
Yep I'm looking for a solid line up of work horse saws and I am on the look out for maybe a 288 or so and 300 line up of husky saws I'm looking for just hard to find

I think they are supposed to be just as reliable, but slightly less power. Never run one, just the general consensus as I understand it.
Wonder how choked up they are in the muff I seen some pipes on ebay for the 51s I'm keep a eye out for them

Wonder how choked up they are in the muff I seen some pipes on ebay for the 51s I'm keep a eye out for them

My 55 had a baffle around the muffler outlet, but the muffler is not sealed, so it can be split and the baffle taken out with a die grinder quite easily. I wouldnt bother with a pipe myself.

Either way, I'd take a 51 over a 345 every day of the week. Most people seem to use a 50cc saw of any sort with an 18" bar, .325 chain, and mostly in smaller wood regardless of the model. Within the scope of normal 50cc use, a good running 51 should serve you well.

I just baught a used 562xp from a dealership, they said they put a new jug and piston on it. The saw freaking eats w a 24 or 20 inch I'm going to try my 28 on it too bc it runs so freaking good. I think it has more power then my 70cc. I almost think it's ported or something, it my new favorite saw.

Alright folks made a stop at that pawn shop and they had a stihl 170 a bunch of holzfforma stuff and then a husky 440 and a poulan pp4218avx (which I bought) and so I'm wondering if anyone could tell me about it and what to expect I was told it's normally 379 bucks but I got it for 45 bucks

Why are you buying homeowner junk when you have 600 acres to work on?
Oh uhhh well let's just say I'm different then most but I guess I gotta be like everyone and buy 1500 dollar sthils and huskys cause the 200k in cutting equipment that we have can't do it..... truth be honest we only normally cut about 10 trees a day the other equipment does most so there's some room for us to play with the saws

Back