Need a little help with log splitter....wont start.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"**yes vertical shaft, will be a pain in the ass to remove"

Maybe just tip the whole thing up on end rather than remove it? Not sure as I haven't seen your splitter, but may be a simpler solution.
this is literally exactly what i was thinking. this will be done either this afternoon or tonight after 8

this is literally exactly what i was thinking. this will be done either this afternoon or tonight after 8
How is your pump attached to the output shaft of the engine? Is it keyed, or does it just use a compression coupler? If there are two bolts on the coupler, just loosen them up, and see if you can crank it. You wouldn't need to take anything apart to do it. If the engine turns over with the coupler loose, then the engine is OK, and you can't, then start troubleshooting hydraulic system.

How is your pump attached to the output shaft of the engine? Is it keyed, or does it just use a compression coupler? If there are two bolts on the coupler, just loosen them up, and see if you can crank it. You wouldn't need to take anything apart to do it. If the engine turns over with the coupler loose, then the engine is OK, and you can start troubleshooting hydraulic system.
i will take a picture when i get home.

here are a couple of pictures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ok quick update

i was able to get the pump off and tried ot pull and no luck, as usual i had an issue and had to remove the engine. now i know how to replace the engine.

with the engine off and me still not being able to pull the cord. are we now 100% certain its the engine?

Have you given the end of the crank shaft a good solid whack like I said??
Not sure i have easy access to the crankshaft. when i remove the top of hte cover there is the flywheel with the fins then the fly wheel cup. i cant get that cup off. the nut holding down the fly wheel cup is too bad for any tools i have to remove. should i just give that a good shot?

let me know if my explanation sucks and you need a picture. i apologize im not great with the terminology.

Impact wrench will buzz it off easily.

Like a said in my other post, pull the engine apart before you condemn it. It may be fixable for free or just a few bucks.
I've fixed several "junk" small engines that someone ran low on oil and just had a bit of aluminum transfer on the crank.
Little bit of time with emery cloth and it's fixed.

It's pretty quick to pull apart, normally I have .5-.75 hrs labor into it.

Impact wrench will buzz it off easily.

Like a said in my other post, pull the engine apart before you condemn it. It may be fixable for free or just a few bucks.
I've fixed several "junk" small engines that someone ran low on oil and just had a bit of aluminum transfer on the crank.
Little bit of time with emery cloth and it's fixed.

It's pretty quick to pull apart, normally I have .5-.75 hrs labor into it.
unfortunately, i dont have the right tools to take apart. wish i did

Just need basic tools. Even the $30 "toolkits" Walmart sells has most of what you need. It's mostly what I use at the shop, I was tired of my good tools walking off so I brought them home.

You got the pump off, so you must have some tools?

The flywheel is really the biggest headache if you don't have an impact wrench, but either use a breaker bar or swing by a local Mom and Pop shop and ask them for a favor.

Not sure i have easy access to the crankshaft. when i remove the top of hte cover there is the flywheel with the fins then the fly wheel cup.
Whack the bottom end of the crank shaft where the pump was... not the top.
That will usually free the crank if it's seized to the aluminum case... if it does free it, change the oil and run it, might last another 10 years.

Just need basic tools. Even the $30 "toolkits" Walmart sells has what you need. It's mostly what I use at the shop, I was tired of my good tools walking off so I brought them home.
i have a 130 piece craftsman tool set but the sockets arent big enough. i have tools just not these large socket ones. i will pull it into garage tonight and see if i can find alternatives

If you have a Napa, Schucks, Lowes, Sears, etc nearby they usually sell individual sockets, usually not expensive.

It's usually around 1", 1 1/16, 1 1/8".

I doubt you live anywhere near Palmer, AK... I'd offer to take a look at it for you.

Latest posts

Back