Need a New Carb for a Stihl 024av West German Made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funonahonda

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for a carb for a Stihl 024av made in West Germany, not sure who is the manufacturer of the carb that is on it, The saw leaks gas through the muffler trays why I'm thinking carb replace.IMG_1715 2.jpegIMG_1716 3.jpeg

That looks like the desirable Tillotson WT 403B, not sure what you mean by "leaking gas through the muffler trays"but if you are sure it's leaking fuel get a carb kit and fix the problem, it shouldn't be too difficult but if that's beyond your ability your Stihl dealer will sell you a replacement or get him to fix the carb or if you want to save $ there are plenty of after market carbs online but they are sometimes of lesser quality

yep, get to the real cause of the problem, cant blame the make of carb, you need to be a bit more specific on what the saw is or is not doing.
Im not sure I understand what you mean by the carb is leaking thru the muffler trays.

can you be more specific on whats happening ?
have you drained and put fresh fuel mix in it.
does it idle, does it go to wide open throttle well etc

you get the idea.

Sorry fat fingered the keyboard, the saw is leaking gas from the muffler, just wanting to put another carb on it but didn’t know what aftermarket carb to get. I will be doing all the work myself, the saw is flooding itself and the unburnt fuel is leaking through the muffler

Happy to help. This carb is on a 1985 024 AVS I purchased new in March 1986. Still works perfect, never been touched. Looks like the same one as yours.
Stihl 024 AVS 1985 Carb.jpg

What is your serial number? Here are mine:
024 AVS 115000914: Produced 10/1985 in West Germany. Purchased new March 1986. Upgraded with a ported Mahle 44.7 P/C

024 AV 115607671: Produced 05/1986 in West Germany. Purchased dead December 2022 & restored,. Upgraded with a shaved and ported Mahle 44mm P/C

I recall ten years ago rebuilding an 024AV after a guy ran over it with his pickup truck. Both bar studs were snapped off, both the outer handle and chain brake handle were ruined. Outer plastic housings were toast and the tank housing was a wreck. Bar was bent out of shape. By some miracle the case was still intact.

I told the owner that the parts were worth more than the saw, but he insisted that I rebuild it because his brother owned it and passed away suddenly. So, I did, and he called me this post summer and told me that the saw still runs today.

Tough little saws in my book.

I apologise for being a little direct OP. The reason many have suggested to rebuild is because the quality of the original carb is excellent and made to much better tolerances than any Chinese aftermarket carb will be.

The other issue is that they’re generally 50:50 whether it will even work. That in itself will cause you annoyance and a challenge, especially if you don’t know how to tune one.

It’s incredibly simple rebuilding them, rebuild
kits are typically easily accessible. I recommend OEM if possible.

Either way, good luck and sorry once again.

Just to let you guys know, I got the Amazon carb that Paul Fithian said he put on his 024 and I worked great, fixed thank you so when the carb rebuild comes in I can rebuild the original carb and have one on hand for it.

Back