Need a new saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fugue14

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm using a treemotion now but as a 29" waist the "one size fits all" doesn't seem to fit that well. I've heard of some other scrawny climbers having the same complaint. Also, the buckleless design makes it somewhat tedious to take on and off during the day. Before that I was using a glide light which the simplicity was nice but the lack of padding was pretty noticeable at the end of the day. The worst part though were the adjustment straps that would constantly loosen on their own.

Now I'm leaning towards the ergovation or petzl sequoia. I'm just wondering if either have the same problem with the adjustment straps staying in place. The sequoia only comes in two sizes too, the smaller size being 28-39 so I'm not sure how well it would fit.

I've owned a glide lite, edge and now climb on an ergo. Ergo all day everyday.

NT Onyx.....I **** you not this is the saddle to beat. I'm a thinner guy as well, 34 inch waist, and the size 1 fits great.

Build quality is great, tons of non-intrusive gear loops and rings, awesome bridge with the rigging plates, leg loops are incredible, blah, blah, blah...get on TreeStuff and order one. You wont regret it.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=325&item=3598

NT Onyx.....I **** you not this is the saddle to beat. I'm a thinner guy as well, 34 inch waist, and the size 1 fits great.

Build quality is great, tons of non-intrusive gear loops and rings, awesome bridge with the rigging plates, leg loops are incredible, blah, blah, blah...get on TreeStuff and order one. You wont regret it.

Looks clean and simple, the reviews are pretty impressive too. Might have to give it a try.

I was in a Sequoia before the NT...the only area it excelled is when there is a big saw hanging off your ass. The Onyx doesn't feel like a work saddle, more like a hammock. :cool:

I had the Sequoia and the edge and the sequoia is by far the most comfortable, i love the thing. fits like a glove

You sold me on the Onyx. I've been using a Buckingham Glide (NOt Glide Lite) for years. It's served me well. My third rope bridge is about worn through and the pads on my leg straps have worn off. Straps dig into my legs when I'm hanging.

In case you don't know, when ordering from Tree Stuff enter ISA10 in the promo code to save %10

About to reach for the Onyx, sac-climber, but sitting squarely on the Size 1 / Size 2 overlap. At 34" waist (pant size - actual measurement is more like 36, go figure!), 5'-11", and 185 lbs, would you still go with Size 1?

Im in the market for a new saddle as well. I went to the local arb.shop and the best they had was the cougar. When i tried it out i was too top heavy for it and tipped over too much. I am considering the onyx but was wondering if it would do the same.

Buckmaster...the nice thing about the Onyx is you can change the position of the rope bridge in the rigging plates to adjust your position. I cant say for sure it will work but I think it's one of the most tailored saddles out there. Treemotion being the exception.

Im in the market for a new saddle as well. I went to the local arb.shop and the best they had was the cougar. When i tried it out i was too top heavy for it and tipped over too much. I am considering the onyx but was wondering if it would do the same.

I'll qualify and caveat my comments / response by saying that I just received my Onyx (w/rope bridge) a few days ago and because of weather, have only been able to work on adjustments while hanging from a beam on the back porch. It's hard to say whether the Onyx can accommodate "too top heavy" - it may depend on how high or where exactly the 'too heavy' is. That said, with all the adjustments available, I'd be surprised if you couldn't adjust your way out of, or into, a comfortable spot. For instance, my initial adjustments had me sitting upright okay, but the saddle tended to ride up into my ribs when fully weighted. I could work myself into a comfortable spot but it just didn't feel right. I even temporarily added another butt strap, a little forwarded of the strap / sling provided, hanging from/attached to the side-Ds, which helped but didn't seem that I should have to. During the course of all these adjustments, I revisited and studied Nick Araya's video review of the saddle and eventually surmised that I might have too much length in the leg straps. I tightened up those, tightened up the sling / butt strap, and ended up sitting better, with little to no movement up towards the ribs.

My biggest initial concern was whether I'd gotten a size too small but I kept going back to sac-climber's comment and advice that it felt "more like a hammock" and I'll be "just fine with the size 1" so I kept on adjusting! Not quite to the hammock feel but getting close. So then, will it work for you? Hard to tell. If you haven't already done so, take a look at Nick's review to see all the adjustment points.

(www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKeBZKhlFI4)

I have an onyx and my only complaint is having the leg strap adjusters creep and need pulled back every few days. I am talking about the length as in how low they hang. Not talking about the diameter of each leg "loop" going around your thigh. Its like every few days the leg "loops" are to close to the backs of my knees. Its very annoying to say the least. Otherwise I give the onyx an A+ . One of the reviews on treestuff is from me. I also had an older model sequoia before the onyx and I liked it. I cant comment about the size part though. I am the opposite of scrawny.

If “bottom light” makes one “top heavy”, I may fit that category myself. But just because I don’t own a Stairmaster, or workout to ‘buns of steel’, doesn’t mean my brother can tell me I look like a frog, and get away with it! Yeah, real funny, a bunch of laughs ….till I JUMPED!

Seriously though, more weight in the mid-section might mean the bigger size 2, and maybe that takes care of everything, with all the adjustments. If all upper body, and finding a saddle with a good fit / sitting upright is a typical challenge, might be a good idea to give NT a call and ask to speak with someone very familiar with the design.

I have an onyx and my only complaint is having the leg strap adjusters creep and need pulled back every few days. I am talking about the length as in how low they hang. Not talking about the diameter of each leg "loop" going around your thigh. Its like every few days the leg "loops" are to close to the backs of my knees. Its very annoying to say the least. Otherwise I give the onyx an A+ . One of the reviews on treestuff is from me. I also had an older model sequoia before the onyx and I liked it. I cant comment about the size part though. I am the opposite of scrawny.

Treeace, double your strap back through and it solves that creep problem.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413693529.272045.jpg

Latest posts

Back