need a thin base gaket for a ms 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have started my first attempt at modding a work saw. the saw is a ms 460 stihl. I have removed the base gasket and now only have .017 squish what should i use for a gasket to gain back the.005 I need to get back around the .022 squish I was looking for.

beer can cut open and cut out to fit gets you about 2.5 thou, that ought to do it. Requires drinking a pint, some times the first gasket is not just right, but by the 4th or 5th one you'l have it down.

Dont have a brown paper bag in the house must get one .Darn plastic! Do I need to use sealant with the bag?

Checked a mt dew can I had on hand it is measuring bout .004 this should get me to.021 right ? Will sealant add much to this measurment?

Good call Ironman, Don't get too hung up on the fuel safe, squished down like it is the sealer is not in contact with fuel. Also you don't need high temp stuff, doubt the base of the saw sees more than 200f even after a hot shut down.

Thanks for the info Just getting my feet wet with this saw modding. If this 460 works out I have my eye on my little 28 wb it could really use a little more power.

You will definetly tell a difference in dropping the cylinder. I havent had the chance to run my 460 much after cutting the cylinder down, but im 20 psi over stock (165psi to 185 psi), with a squish of .025 Sotck squish was .042 :dizzy:

I am hoping this saw will cut as fast as my 660. The 660 has bb kit, two port muffler, and a carb off of an older 066 with no limiter caps, its the strongest saw I have hands down.

Just used solder through the plug hole. Got this idea from a thread on this site not hard to find here. I have learned so much from this site,its awesome!!!!

I got the 460 running this morning ,let me tell you this thing rips. blew my buddies 385 husky away with it, not even a contest. I still think my muffler may be holding it back a little. I think I will add a dp cover to create a three port since I already added a port and deflector to the back half.I did not go crazy big on the back half ports because I was afraid it might be too loud.If the dp cover seems to help I will open up my two back ports and replace the solid cover.I have another saw that needs that dp cover.

Latest posts

Back