Need advice guys, stihl ms 180 met its doom! New saw time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyRabbit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. I use Stihl products religiously, I.e. Blowers, line trimmers, edgers, etc etc. However, I use Husqvarna XP saws. A couple of years ago I got a wild hair and bought a new ms 180. BIG MISTAKE! I probably had 4 hours on the saw total and I worked on it 4 times as much as I ever used it. I decided to cut my losses w/the POS. Anyway, I am wondering if I just got one hell of a lemon or are the stihl homeowner saws duds? I looked at the stihl ms 211 but am scared to hell and back now to buy another stihl lemon. :msp_confused: I have 2 saws in mind, the Husqvarna 339 XP and the stihl 211. The stihl is cheaper but if its junk then how is it money saved? Help me out here guys.

DR...something ain't quite right in what you're saying..??
Stihl chainsaws come with a 1 year warranty minimum..!!

Are you saying you bought a new 180 and only used it less than
4 hours in the first year..??

If you had problems...why not take back to dealer while still under warranty..??
:cheers:
J2F

I bought it in 09. Understand it was just never available when needed.

DR...something ain't quite right in what you're saying..??
Stihl chainsaws come with a 1 year warranty minimum..!!

Are you saying you bought a new 180 and only used it less than
4 hours in the first year..??

If you had problems...why not take back to dealer while still under warranty..??
J2F

I went back and checked, the OP joined in 2007 and had not posted since 2008. He wrote on 11/8/2008 that he had bought the MS180.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/80511-2.htm#post1218947

For Fish, this is a picture of it before it departed this world.

StihlMS180C.jpg

Great detective work there Lt. Badger..!!! :msp_thumbup:

Where are all these Troll squirrels coming from the last few days...??? :dunno:

This is really a hard room to try and blow BS past...!!!

But on the other hand...will do anything...research etc..to help a legitimate person in need..!!
J2F

Last edited:
To try and answer your QUESTION!

Andyshine77 has a Stihl MS211 and I am pretty impressed with it.
I wouldn't trade my 401 Dolmar for it, but it is a nice little saw.

You can get a lemon in any of them but I don't care for Stihls 170/180 saws at ALL!
The Ryobi 10532 is a much better saw for a lot less money, and since you aren't going to take advantage of your warranty anyway, a cheaper saw will hurt a lot less when you toss it to the landfill!
The Poulan Pro 260 can also be had for around $100.00 and they are a better saw than what you had by a long shot.

Mike

Thank you for a legitimate response.

You can get a lemon in any of them but I don't care for Stihls 170/180 saws at ALL!
The Ryobi 10532 is a much better saw for a lot less money, and since you aren't going to take advantage of your warranty anyway, a cheaper saw will hurt a lot less when you toss it to the landfill!
The Poulan Pro 260 can also be had for around $100.00 and they are a better saw than what you had by a long shot.

Mike

C'mon guys. All this MS 180 bashin' has brought me out of AS posting retirement! :msp_smile:

There ain't nuthin' wrong with a little 180. I've got a heckofa lot more than 4 hours on mine and it has been a flawless little saw that does what it's designed to do plus a lot more. My only complaint is with the stupid tooless chain adjuster, but at least it does not have flippy caps for folks here to complain about.

If you've not run one, hold off on the bashing it here. Even Saw Troll gives the MS 180 credit for pruin' roses. :msp_wink:

My little 180 must be five or six years old and has been thru hell and back, if there is a chance on a saw being thrashed out it comes. I'd bet it succumbed to either old mix or fuel related issue. The 211 is a fine saw. You need to make sure you use fresh fuel/mix in your saw. Using a saw 4 hours in 3 years you might just want to rent one from home depot or you might be a candidate for buying the pre-mixed fuel that most dealers sell that has a long shelf life. Nothing wrong with the little 180's when used within their design capabilities, a heck of a lot more saw than a wild thing.

Mike

Take that ryobi 10532, put a REAL chain on it. Open the exhaust and re-tune. THEN WATCH OUT........this little saw will surprise the poo out of you.

Latest posts

Back