Need advice guys, stihl ms 180 met its doom! New saw time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sold or given it away

I can fully understand wanting a new running saw if you have worked on one four times and it still sucks...but it was near new as you say, a ton of the parts were still perfectly fine. It is better to recycle somehow than to trash, IMO. Your name wouldn't have been negatively effected selling it or giving it away as a non runner parts saw, cheap or free, that is common as all get out and is how all the guys here keep old saws running for the most part.

Now, I toasted (my fault) a new *expensive* saw, so no way am I throwing it out. When I can afford it, I will get the parts, then not do what I did previously (run it hard with too lean of carb settings), then have a still mostly brand new decent saw. I am on this site to learn and for the sharing of knowledge and camaraderie, if you take advantage of that here, you can keep most any old saw running..forever and two days. And if not you..someone else could.

Yeah, a ton of people would have loved to buy it as a parts saw at minimum. In fact, most here could have likely had it up and running flawlessly in short order. Now it's rotting in a dump somewhere when tons of useful parts could be being recycled and saving some poor sap that has more sense than money and not the other way around a few bucks.

Grats on the new saw and liking it. Still a dumb move tossing a saw with some perfectly good parts on it in the dump. Maybe a trash digger that's not lazy will find it, fix it, and get him some bucks out of it. One mans silly way is pure profit for the others.

RR, if you want a new saw then go buy it or did you have me in mind just buying one for you instead? Last time I checked I didn't run a Chain Saw Welfare office. If you don't have the means then might I suggest a "job" that pays well enough to facilitate the aforementioned task at hand. What I do with my property/money is my business and I would dare say you're offered that same courtesy in return. That's one of the perks we enjoy here in the USA.

Yeah, a ton of people would have loved to buy it as a parts saw at minimum. In fact, most here could have likely had it up and running flawlessly in short order. Now it's rotting in a dump somewhere when tons of useful parts could be being recycled and saving some poor sap that has more sense than money and not the other way around a few bucks.

RR, if you want a new saw then go buy it or did you have me in mind just buying one for you instead? Last time I checked I didn't run a Chain Saw Welfare office. If you don't have the means then might I suggest a "job" that pays well enough to facilitate the aforementioned task at hand. What I do with my property/money is my business and I would dare say you're offered that same courtesy in return. That's one of the perks we enjoy here in the USA.

I don't want anything from you, don't need anything from ya, and didn't ask for anything from you, and could care less what are not or are capable of doing on your own. How do you know that I don't make more money than you? I just choose to not let my money over rule my common sense and decency. You are absolutely correct, do with your crap what you please. Don't come to a chainsaw forum bragging about throwing a perfectly good chainsaw in the dump then expect people to think "Good job!", instead you just wasted a lot of good stuff. Typical spoiled, wasteful, entitled American attitude. Betcha give waitresses hell when the cook screws up your order too don'tcha? The arrogant attitude about it helps me understand your crappy rep. Being new to a forum it's good to learn the good from the bad in a hurry so you avoid wasting your time with them later on. So to not waste my time with the likes of ya anymore. Later!

Easy guys, no need to get sore over the topic!

You know, you are right. I don't know this guy, he doesn't know me. It's easy to come off a little wrong on the internet and forums. Often dissagreements are complete and udder misunderstandings. This guy could be totally different from the way he comes off on a message board. I'll never know. With that said, none of us should be so judgemental of one another based off of words traded on a message board. I think tossing a perfectly good saw with perfectly good parts in the trash is kinda disgusting. But is it really and truely any of my business?

Nope.

I apologize Rabbit. I'm a saver off all things that may be useful to me or someone else (until the wife starts making me cull out the older stuff and put it on craigslist :D), and I get seriously disturbed by wastefulness. That an issue I have in my head, I really try to keep in my head that not everyone thinks like I do, but it's kinda hard.

No Prob RR, I love to joust on the internet just as much as the next guy and no matter how hard the conflict was there's not a soul that I wouldn't sit down and drink a beer with and laugh about it. My most humble apologies as well.

I apologize Rabbit. I'm a saver off all things that may be useful to me or someone else (until the wife starts making me cull out the older stuff and put it on craigslist :D), and I get seriously disturbed by wastefulness. That an issue I have in my head, I really try to keep in my head that not everyone thinks like I do, but it's kinda hard.

As a pack rat from the time I started to walk, I understand your feelings Riverrat.
Hell I can't stand to part with anything even when it is completely useless.
But the fact is that saw was his property and he could do with it as he saw fit and should be free to do so without reprisal from us.
I know exactly how he feels.
I'm going through the same thing with this God forsaken 026.
I'm just too cheap to toss it, as bad as I want to!!!LOL

Mike

No Prob RR, I love to joust on the internet just as much as the next guy and no matter how hard the conflict was there's not a soul that I wouldn't sit down and drink a beer with and laugh about it.

Hehe, I'm with you bro, I'm with you. I'm just trying to get away from that habit as I've wasted waaaaaay too many hours in internet jousting tournaments.

As a pack rat from the time I started to walk, I understand your feelings Riverrat.
Hell I can't stand to part with anything even when it is completely useless.
But the fact is that saw was his property and he could do with it as he saw fit and should be free to do so without reprisal from us.
I know exactly how he feels.
I'm going through the same thing with this God forsaken 026.
I'm just too cheap to toss it, as bad as I want to!!!LOL

Mike

Toss that 026 to me, especially if it has a fully adjustable carb! I could use a few 026 parts!

Toss that 026 to me, especially if it has a fully adjustable carb! I could use a few 026 parts!

I'd love to but can't afford it!
I've got WAY too much tied up in it.
Brand new top end and BRAND new WT-194.
STILL won't start without choking it with your thumb.:msp_angry:

Mike

The carb on my MS180 has fixed jets. No mixture screws!!! That is what is keeping me from doing a MM on it. An adjustable carb can be had on ebay for $25 plus shipping. It is made in China though and I'm not sure of the quality.

Hey there,

I just bought a walbro wt215 fully adjustable carb in stihl factory box and packaging on Ebay for $33 including shipping. Took about 30 min to install.

Latest posts

Back