Need advice guys, stihl ms 180 met its doom! New saw time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the 180 met its doom and now the Stihl MS230 is gone too :msp_scared: Its not as bad as it sounds though :wink2:. I was very happy with it but yesterday I helped my father cut up a nice sized willow oak and in all of his infinite wisdom his saw of choice is this ragged out Homelite that he affectionately refers to as "Homie the saw". He has to adjust on this saw or do something to it. It smoked horribly and rattled your fillings loose. He is so tight he squeaks when he walks. I was cutting with my Husky 371XP and I hadn't shown him the new Stihl yet. He hadn't done 5 minutes of work with that dud the entire time I was there. Then a brilliant idea came over me. We wanted to go grab a bite to eat so when he went inside I secretly put "Homie the saw" under the drivers side rear wheel of my Dodge 3500. When I pulled off I didn't hesitate and a speed bump was felt. He asked what did I hit and I looked back and told him a small log. After we ate I went home and picked up my Stihl 230 and brought it back with us. He really liked the Stihl. When we drove up I went for the XP and he went to pick up his saw and if you could have seen his face when he saw "Homie the saw" as flat as a pancake :hmm3grin2orange:. I was crying I was laughing so damn hard. I told him I had some duct tape and we could fix that :laugh: I walked up to him with the Stihl, handed it to him told him sorry for the inconvenience pops. He cut with it and was thrilled. Anyway, I had my buddy order me off a new Husky 339XP today and will go by tomorrow and pick it up. I'll post pics later..

Pics of new 339XP
339xpnew.jpg

husky339.jpg

I hope its like a ugly wife that never fails to please. I immediately threw the junk safety chain away and put a chisel chain on her and cut with it most of yesterday and when I finally learned how to cut with it it surprised me. You have to stay on the pipe on this saw to get the results you're looking for. Maybe it was due to the aggressive chain that you need your rpm's up so high? Thing is this little guy will get it done.

I just got a new 346xp and really like it but I have to admit something, that 339 is an ugly saw.

seems like im collecting 180's and 018's i keep coming across them for cheap, like one of them was $20, it was just missing the choke control lever rod and came with what I think is a carving bar, it runs and the $30 one i found last fall just needed fresh gas but I just cant kill the first ms180 that i bought used at a pawn shop and after i get done fixing the 026's and 036's the 180's will be next. i've cut at least 50 percent of the wood that has kept me warm for the past 4 years with that little 180 with no problems. just use real gas and stihl oils.

Latest posts

Back