Need advice on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I'd keep the 026 and buy a new husky 372 or 572. If you know where to look, either can be had new for $750 right now with no bar and chain. Short of that, I'd buy a 590. The 590 is a great saw for the money. If you're willing to pay for a 620, just buy a 70cc. That or buy used on here.

For Ohio wood (mixed hardwoods) a 24” bar on a 60cc saw will get the job done, just keep the oiler WFO and the chain sharp. The 044 would be better, but they’re a rare find. The MS 361 is a really nice saw to run from the little time I’ve spent on them, but they’re also a rare find because every person who has one seems to like it so much. The 039/390/391 series have done a lot of work and will pull a 24/25 inch bar, they just don’t do it really fast, and I probably wouldn’t bother with a used one.

This is all assuming you want to use the Stihl mount bars you have without having to use the spacer/adapter for them on Husqvarna mount (along with Echo/Jonsered/Dolmar/Makita) saws.

Oh, and the 60cc class is pretty slick for slashing brush or thinning small softwoods with a 28” bar. The 562XP seems to be a common saw in that category. Don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it.

I'm unsure about buying a used saw. Seems like it's the same guys who fix them to resell them on craigslist and facebook. My concern is they're getting rigged together to sell for profit with junk parts. Most of the bigger saws were used professionally and are about wiped out. A new Echo saw with a warranty does have a lot of appeal to me. I'd probably buy the 620p professional saw unless I find a gently used Stihl or Husky pro grade saw.

I'm unsure about buying a used saw. Seems like it's the same guys who fix them to resell them on craigslist and facebook. My concern is they're getting rigged together to sell for profit with junk parts. Most of the bigger saws were used professionally and are about wiped out. A new Echo saw with a warranty does have a lot of appeal to me. I'd probably buy the 620p professional saw unless I find a gently used Stihl or Husky pro grade saw.

I hardly even consider a used saw locally anymore, and probably wouldn't even look at something "rebuilt". Buying from a trusted member here or on the other forum, now that I have done and will do again without hesitation. Just helped my friend buy an ms440 listed on 0peforum for $500. On Craigslist here it would have been listed for $650 or more. There's a well used 391 on Craigslist locally for $500.

Buy a ported 036 from a respected builder here. Have it fully redone with new bearings/rings etc... They are the best size/weight/power saw that Stihl ever produced IMHO. Add an ES Light 25” bar.

No reason it won’t last every bit as long as a newer saw If it’s done correctly. Also, most guys will stand behind their work, so if anything goes wrong, you should be ok within reason.

I just did an Echo 620P and it is a nice saw, but I am told it weighs the same as a 372. I own a new 462 and I must say, they are a fine running saw and are quite light and compact. I don’t think you’d go wrong long term with one, using your 026 as your limber. May not be a powerhouse, but are they ever comfortable to cut with.

@David Major is one of the well respected sellers around here. I bought a saw from him. Absolutely ZERO hassle with the transaction. Granted, the saw I bought was in need of some TLC, but he was 100% honest about it and I knew what I was getting. He does also sell runners.

David, do you think you could help the new guy find what he needs?

An 034 Super(basically an 036) with an 18" bar has been my one saw plan for over a decade. 35-40 cords of firewood, including taking apart a 5' diameter cottonwood. Not going to claim it's the ideal tool, but it will absolutely 100% get the job done on 24" logs. I wouldn't mind a 25cc, 50cc, and 75ish CC plan, and may eventually get there, but my family sure spent a lot of time warm and cozy because of that 034S. Zero complaints.

But a good used saw out of the trading post from a longtime member and you will be looked after. You can wait for a 361 or 362 that has been ported then you have the lighter saw with a 70 cc attitude I have a 440 hybrid with heated handles which will be my big saw. My 361 will be getting ported if I don't buy one that is already ported. I have a ported 026 already just need to find heated handles for it.

Get a 70cc saw or you’ll regret it. Be patient and save up Your $$$ or be patient and wait for a nice used on to come up. Like others said a 60 cc saw isn’t enough Power upgrade from you 026 And not enough weight difference To notice from A 70 cc saw.

So I purchased an MS261CM. I loved it but it was a little small for some jobs. So I got the 362cm and it ran a 24 easily. It did cut though lots of 30 inch popular. But was heavy for small stuff. So I got a ms180 to limb with.
Then traded on the 362 for MS462RCM and couldn't be happier. Something about the 70cc power.. wow..

Now planning on picking up another 261cm to compliment the others..
30/50/70 is a solid plan.. next year maybe 90..
The 362 is a solid saw. Fits in a one saw plan. But will be heavy for small stuff and weak on big stuff.
And who doesnt want more saws..

Latest posts

Back