Need advice on breaking down 42” oak round

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwith3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Neighbor had a 70’ white oak taken down and need to break down rounds from 28”-42” x 18”.
I have a 28 ton County line splitter, and those bigger rounds would be too big for to move around with a grapple on my Deere X738. I need to split them in place because dragging them is going to destroy my lawn- I already tore up the ground on the hill I had to drag it up.

I always split vertically until they are of manageable size to pick up to split horizontally. I have split oak that big, and what I did was, in the vertical position, put a half (4'X4') 1" piece of plywood in front of the splitter to level out the round. That way you don't have to hold it up to split it.

Slab/noodle to a manageable size?
0f48e88f513732959fb976019a8dc462.jpg

ecc93bf43cc14d7d4ba2cc319e12c721.jpg

PP 655BP w/30” in the back left for size.

I have a hitch and front blade on my tractor and was thinking of tilting the blade and getting under the round to hold it up straight on whichever side needs to be raised. My splitter does horizontal and vertical.

Did a lot of red oak that size last year. If I had a buddy we rolled em on the splitter (dayum near blew a nut anyway!)

If no help wedge and sledge. Did noodle some 54" maple just to make fast work of it. The oak busts fairly easy but the maple was too soft and gnarly.

Someone try this and tell me if it only works for me? Place a few 2x6 or similar flat on the ground, makes spinning those rounds easy and you do not need to tilt round into vertical splitter.

Yeah guess should have mentioned the old speeco horizontal... Lay it on the ground for busting large rounds. Honda motor is a lot more forgiving of this position then the original B&S was.

I had some big ones from the neighor. My splitter does not have a table or lift so I lifted them up with my loader and split and they fell to the ground rinse repeat.
THat was work, would of been much faster to noodle or split them into quarters or something I could handle.
Definately bring splitter to the log.
When I get stuff like that in the field we get a plank and roll them up on the trailer or wherever we are going with them.

Chad, thinking of design for a lifting table.

I ran into a red elm the same size as this tree. I bucked all the big rounds to 18" lengths and then noodle cut from there. Sometimes I needed halves, then quarters, and then sixths when I reached the bottom. The idea was to make lengths that I could either lift and carry away or split.

Gasoline is cheaper than paying a chiropractor to treat a strained or wrenched back. Crane and MoonDoggle know what they are doing, and as Cody said, the noodles work in a chicken coop (or in a horse stable). Two thumbs up!

Glad to see they also know how to do things in St. Joe, Missouri. Good Pics, Driver!

Back