need advice on new to us chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
right now we use the bucket truck with an 11' dump box on it

we also have a 2005 chevy one ton dump we use for chips and firewood

whats the next step up (and mind you were on a budget) for the next truck

a kodiak or something or 4500

or should we just roll another chevy one ton im not sure and our season is coming soon

for my bank to finance it must be a 2001 or newer

anyone use a gmc topkick with a 16' bed with dump

thanks alot

or should we just roll another chevy one ton im not sure and our season is coming soon

thanks alot

I gave chipping up for the most part and grapple everyting now!

thanks alot
Two one tons would work sweet, 4 wheel of course. I wish I could afford another one but cant, I would use it to tow my tractor and to chip into when the other one is dumping, that would be nice on big climbing jobs in the back yard. I also have a hitch on the farming winch on my tractor, works well for getting my chipper in to tight spots, then back in the truck.

International

What about an international with an arbortech body on it? Behind cab tool boxes, with plenty of room. Dt 466 engine, lots of chip capacity (at least 14 yards, maybe more) Under CDL, will tow most anything. GOod truck. We got two of em, both are mint, actually one of them is a CDL truck.

truck

I need one of those old chipmonk but very costly.it looks great nice job.skywalker the company I refered you to will take care of you and will get you in a truck that will fit your budget.good luck call me if you need help or if you decide to buy it fly in I will pick you up and will drive down together. let me know

Last edited:
This takes the work out of chipping or even tree work ! New paint & tender loving care . Too much free time on my hands .

what do you do to dispose of the debris? the dumps take chips for free. limbs and logs in a 20yd dump would be about $200 in dump fees. Id estimate this would cost us between $4,000-$6,000 a month in dump fees. I think Ill stick to chipping until I get a tub grinder or find somewhere that will take any debris for free.

How do you do it?

We are not charged by the ton. Our inert dump charges a flat fee of $75.00 per load. This makes everything possible. When we chip we have a list of customers we call . We charge anywhere from $60-90 per load delivered within 5 mi.. If we dump chips at the inert landfill the charge is $25.00 per load. We only chip Oaks, Sweetgum, Pecan & Hackberry ( because they are not easily compacted ). Most Pine packs w/grapple unless there are 19-25 to remove, then we chip & sell the logs to the Paper Mill for pulp. Local lumber mills don't accept residential logs due to metal hardware. Lots we clear might be accepted, if virgin timber. I hope this explains our opeation.

Dump Fees

luckily my partners grandparents and extended family owns 500 plus acres

we just dump our chips in a pile, roll em and will sell them in future

as far as hard wood, we split it sell it or burn it ourselves

the junk gets bon fired or dumped in the woods

were lucky

Any truck whose GVWR is over 26,001 lbs is considered class B CDL. If you tow with it and the combined GVWR is over 26001 its considered class A CDL combination. Class B is truck only. If its rated to CARRY over 26001 lbs, its CDL. This truck being a ten wheel truck, its gross vehicle weight alone is probably close to 25K.

Here is my problem

I would love to get a CDL but I am blind in one eye. SO I must be careful to buy under #26000.

Only way I have found to beat it is by working for the City, County, or State you can get a waver.

Why are you safer working for that group than on your own???????

Latest posts

Back