Need advice on safety gear.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a good quality and durable helmet system. The few I have tried have crappy ear muffs, are uncomfortable and just do not hold up. I was hoping you guys would know of some really good ones. Preferably with peltor ear muffs, apart from david clark's they are my favorite. I am also in the market for a good set of safety chaps. Cost on either one is really not a concern. I want something that will hold up and do what it is supposed to, be it protecting my head or legs. Any and all info you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Search!

Labonville Chaps (Site Sponsor)

Stihl Forestry Helmet (Your local dealer)

I have the Stihl helmet - they run about $45-50 at a dealer. Very happy with it.

I have the cheap box store Husqvarna chaps, and while they're functional, next time I'll be shelling out for full-wraps and probably see what Labonville can do for me.

I'm doing an in-depth review of helmets for the first issue of the magazine. I can tell you that I'm really impressed with the Rockman system from Bailey's.

I really like the Husky hard hat, its a little heavy but its the most comfortable i have found and the ear muff have held up well. But recently i have went to a steel hardhat and ear plugs which is now my favorite setup, super light and a little less clumsy feeling in my opinion. for chaps i would just go with the labonvilles they are pretty darn good.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm getting a set of labonville full wrap competition chaps. I don't mind being hot in the summer, I can deal with being uncomfortable a lot better than I can deal with medical bills and/or being disabled. BobL, you have no idea how many guys I have seen and work with that try to drown out equipment noise with ear phones, the kind that come cd players. I might get made fun of for looking "stupid,"(admittedly the thick peltor's do look kind of goofy) but I am the only one that doesn't have to ask "Did you say something."

hands down, 10py chaps from labonville... will prevent injury not just reduce it. could be wrong, but Labonville are the only one's offering a 10ply chap.

helmet is a personal fit issue... if possible don't buy it, unless you try it on for comfort.

for instance... all sorts of folks will tell you how much they like their Stihl helmet. well I tried it on at my Stihl dealer... did a big reject!

tried on a Peltor helmet and bought it on the spot.
also wear a Stihl protective shirt, kevlar gloves and steel toe boots.

having all the protective gear is first... but the most important part is YOU wearing it. don't cheat just because your only running an MS260.

check out the thread where a 260 did some real damage. and that was with a pair of chaps on.

I really like my SwedPro summer pants (SwedPro makes Stihls PPE here in the states) Labonvilles are great for chaps.

I use the Peltor Lumberjack helmet system and have really liked it, I hear good things about the Rockman system as well.

Get yourself some steel toed boots at a minimum, chainsaw protective boots if you can swing it but make sure they are still steel toed (I like the Matterhorns). Always keep both hands on your saw with the thumb of your left hand wrapped around the handlebar, and remember the PPE only works if you're wearing it. :cheers:

Last edited:
Labonville seems to make a great product. I don't think you'd go wrong if you went with Stihl or Husky chaps either. You may want to stop by your local dealer and see what he has. Like someone else mentioned, that way you could try on a pair and make sure you'll get ones that fit right and are comfortable for you to wear. After all, having the thickest, toughest, best PPE is totally worthless if you don't wear it because it's uncomfortable.

I am very happy with Labonville products. I have never looked into their helmets though.

I bought the Gripo hat combo from Labonville. Well worth $25. Not as good as Peltor, but my Peltor muffs cost nearly as much as the Gripo hat/screen/muffs.
Might be able to adapt Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs to the Gripo, the wires are similar but not exactly the same.

I got the Pro-Safety Helmet and Hearing Protection System from Bailey's. I would not recommend buying one. It was easy to assemble but the three point snap that holds the ear protection will not stay in the helmet. The slightest pressure pops one side out. In a short time one side of the flip up shield came apart. It still "works" but it is not worth the purchase. I will eventually buy a good helmet. :cry:

i think a stihl cap is the most comfortable but the ear muffs are kinda cheap on them. the husky ear muffs are the best but i dont like the face mask system and they dont have the "ratchet style" suspension that i like so much on stihl's. id try on what you can get ahold of and see what you prefer.

Well....I didn't expect this thread to get revived from the dead, but thanks for the additional replies. I ended up getting the labonville 10 ply chaps and am very happy with them. Still looking for a better helmet, but our 4-month wood cutting marathon is over so I have plenty of time to look for another one before we start up again. Now it is time to plow, plant, split and stack. The fun never ends around here.:dizzy:
Thanks again,
Dan

While none of the helmets mentioned are perfect, the Rockman rated the highest in a comparison I did. I've been wearing it while I've been cutting and I'm really happy with it. The Stihl and Husky helmets are quite comfortable as well.

I bought the Gripo hat combo from Labonville. Well worth $25. Not as good as Peltor, but my Peltor muffs cost nearly as much as the Gripo hat/screen/muffs.
Might be able to adapt Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs to the Gripo, the wires are similar but not exactly the same.

:agree2:

Back