Need advise on milling a 40' log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camelot1965

Reaction score
I need a 8x12 by 40' long white pine beam for a lean-to. I thought I would cut two 21 footers and use a scarf joint to join together. I just dropped a beautiful pine tree with the top broken that would easily give me a 40' beam without any scarf necessary. I usually use an aluminum 20' ladder for my longer logs. I was just wondering if there are any tricks or ideas if trying to mill a 40' logs. I was wondering if I could somehow connect the two 20" extensions to make a 40" straight guide? Thanks in advance

If i wasonnectioning 2 together like you said, i would probably stretch a string from end to end to make sure they stayed level.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Laser level on a tripod a few feet away from the log will also give you a true level all the way along the log.
Might have to do it at dusk or dawn to see the laser light out to +/- 20ft.

If I were to cut a 40' beam out of a log I would be using my beam saw attachment on my chainsaw, get my longest, straightest 2 x 4s, or 2 x 6s, screw them onto the log and start cutting to the end. Remove the boards, roll the log, with the now flat side up, and reset my boards. Cut one side of the flat top, reset for the other side of the flat top. Roll the log once more, reset the boards and cut the final side.384.jpg
I happen to have two 8' aluminum 2 x 4s that I screw into my long logs to cut my straight sides then use my Granberg mill to square everything up.
386.jpg
I did it this way to make some 4 x 4s but the same could be done for other size beams as well.

This is a great idea, it would remove the need for a perfectly flat “first cut” as the up and down variances wouldn’t affect the cut on the side of the log. Need to make sure you’re true with your boards on top though, but a string line would solve that fairly quick. This gives me some ideas!

With a little practice on the beam saw you can cut a fairly straight line in no time. I like to use an up and down motion as I work my way down the log. It stops me from going off line. I just set the saw in the wood then use upwards pressure on the saw handle to make my cuts until the saw is almost straight down in the wood then move it back a little and do the same all the way to the end. In pine it goes fairly fast.

You could use several 2X6's and butt them together to get your 40 feet, then stagger an other row on top to over lap the joints by 50 percent, to keep them straight, and use the beam saw. Ace Hardware has screws 12" long for joining 6X6's.

Latest posts

Back