need advise on setting up 4 or 5 to 1 pulley for felling trees & possible port-a-wra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy seriously you have lost every argument you have had on here, the only one that doesnt realize it is you. So if losing in life is what you call sport and you like your playthings kicking your ass then your in the right spot (if you ask me its a little gay to refer to other men as playthings). You fancy yourself as some type of intellect, but I have bad news in this forum you are out classed. Be thankful for FTA because if it wasnt for him you would be the most ignorant person in here... Good news though its a close race.

oh yeah put them on your desk and take a picture... because sure looks like an internet picture from a museum.

wow :eek2: profound, StihlO. You never wore a helmet did you?

You lame. Why do you have rank anyway? Wait. Your only an ol' bone head sergeant. Good for you, and pull your head out of your ass.

[video=youtube;IxAKFlpdcfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IxAKFlpdcfc[/video]

All of the arguing about this 4:1 or 5:1 can be simplified. Count the legs of rope pulling on the load. If there are five legs, then it is 5:1. It is really quite simple! Assuming that each leg of the pulley system is equally loaded, then all 5 ropes are pulling with the same force that is applied to just one.

Of course, all of this depends on relatively little friction loss rolling over the pulleys. We speak of 5:1, but it is considerably less once friction is accounted for.

If the tail of the rope being pulled on is going through the stationary anchor point, then it is putting 5:1 mechanical advantage on the anchor point, but it is only delivering 4:1 on the moving load. Why? There are only 4 sections of rope attached to the moving load. The last one is just pulling against the anchor point.

I'm with you on this and glad you spoke up.

wow :eek2: profound, StihlO. You never wore a helmet did you?

You lame. Why do you have rank anyway? Wait. Your only an ol' bone head sergeant. Good for you, and pull your head out of your ass.

[video=youtube;IxAKFlpdcfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IxAKFlpdcfc[/video]

Honestly tell me the truth.

Are you a Mexican Illegal... Because English is obviously not your native tongue.

I know you wore a helmet though... I have the picks

eds-short-bus.jpg

Jeff, you are what 101 calls a turd. I hate to say it. :msp_unsure: :potstir:

and I certainly hate to explain it. :msp_thumbdn:

Back on topic for those who care ...

Does the length of rope between the legs have to be equal?
Jeff

No Jeff, in the case of a fiddle block the "legs" are different because of the stacked pulleys:

rig6-3.jpg

You could rig separate pulleys with different rope lengths and even different angles and still get the same multiplication of force.

Did you read the post by PDQDL?
Jeff

I suspect he did not.

AA: No, the legs can be at different lengths, but they must all be parallel to the direction of pull. If not parallel to the load, then the applied force is reduced. Vectors, trigonometry, you can look it up if you wish.

Last edited:
Suspicions confirmed ...

I suspect he did not.

AA: No, the legs can be at different lengths, but they must all be parallel to the direction of pull. If not parallel to the load, then the applied force is reduced. Vectors, trigonometry, you can look it up if you wish.

This is true with regard to the angle over the pulley for the rope, but another pulley set could be at any angle, say attached to another anchor using a block to redirect the tail of the first set and that multiplication would be added to the first. Not a common way of rigging a force multiplier, but useful to answer jeff's question.

Nice attempt at a recovery, but we were only talking about the legs of a pulley system that has clearly been shown in the video at the start of this thread. Nobody mentioned a redirect; not levers, gears, hydraulics, nor inclined planes, either.

It would be much easier to just admit that you missed the mark on that one.

Last edited:
What's amazing is that a person with 5 years of rigging experience is attempting to educate someone with almost 30 yrs. of experience ..... Laughable actually

What's amazing is that a person with 5 years of rigging experience is attempting to educate someone with almost 30 yrs. of experience ..... Laughable actually

It appears to me that PDQDL is a smart feller and AA is well you know... The other one... Fart Smeller
(this argument was getting to intelligent I had to drive it back down to the gutter or at least the third grade)

True or not true ?

Nice attempt at a recovery, but we were only talking about the legs of a pulley system that has clearly been shown in the video at the start of this thread. Nobody mentioned a redirect; not levers, gears, hydraulics, nor inclined planes, either.

It would be much easier to just admit that you missed the mark on that one.

I didn't bother to watch the video. I was talking about possible ways to rig a force multiplier, giving an example of what I meant by "different angles" Let me ask you this with your obvious knowledge of force multipliers, i.e. pulley setups: Am I right or wrong about the setup I described?

Latest posts

Back