Need an engineer for a quick question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need an engineer too but my motives are a lot more selfish. I just want to go for a ride on his train. Preferably steam.

I agree with using a cart and down the steps. Dangling off a tractor sounds a little scary. Not to say I'd like being downstairs pushing up.

I didn't have much help to get our furnace in the basement, so I used my tractor. It's not a full size farming tractor, but bigger than an 8N. With the firebox in the 400-450 pound range attached to a 6' 3 point boom, it would put the front tires off the ground if I accelerated too fast. It worked well lifting it into the basement stairway, but boy was it heavy. It would take something awfully strong 12' behind a tractor. If you can get enough men, I would do it that way.

Check out this thread. Not my work, but remembered seeing this.

Old stove into basement

If you have outside stairs here is the pic in particular...

View attachment 270553

I did see another one a while back (naturally that I cant find it now) that was the same type idea with a winch/come-along, but it was secured to multiple studs in the stairway.

as an engineer dealing with pressure vessels and process control systems. My first thought was to back away slowly... :msp_sneaky:

I can tell you this, 500 pounds on the end of a jib pole is gonna mean your gonna need a good counter balance. then you start looking at overloading tires and axles.

Best plan, put some planks on the stairs, load the stove on a dolly. winch it out and consider some form of anti roll method if the winch, cable, strap, chain, tractor, bolt, knot or anything else breaks.

good luck, keep people out of the line of fire (thats where thing go when they break)

ratchet strap to dolley--get two guys and go 1 step at a time. you dont have to lift 500 lbs only roll it up each step. you can stop on any step for a rest if needed. it will be over before you know it.:msp_smile:

I am an Engineer but I only drive trains.................just kidding!

I had surgery a few years back and was a bit of a gimp, but needed to get an old washer out of the basement. A few planks, some rope, a couple snatch blocks (sheaves/pulleys) and poof.
Mechanical advantage is your friend..............hell they built pyramids with simple things.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going the dolly route. Need to look for a place with a climber to rent.

Steve the climbers I've used weigh a couple of hundred pounds figure all of your weights including people. Three guys and a refer cart will work very smooth 500# is not that heavy with two guys let alone three. I have moved countless safes,fire files,pianos and other heavy stuff up and down stairs with just a refer cart. I moved a milling machine down a flight in Oklahoma City once with one. Fun HELL NO but it worked. If I was closer I would bring mine over and you and I would bounce that thing down. Good luck and let us know how you wind up doing it. Another idea is call a moving co. they usually will give an estimate over the phone. My guess would be around $100 plus they are insured.

If you think this may get messy you may want to spend a few bucks and ask a Sweep or the local Hearth shop to move it for you. They do this all the time and should have special stair climbing dollies and equipment.

While buddies have the best of intentions they have a habit of being in a hurry to get to the beer! I know from personal experience that after the holes in the walls, pizza, beer and hernia medical bills came it would have been easier to hire a pro.

Last edited:
Back