Need an Idea for Bar and Chain Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Dog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been building a firewood processor. I'm getting down to the final stages. I'm stumped on what to do for the bar and chain oiler. I thought of gravity feed but worried about the cold climate turning the oil to molasses. Thought maybe I could thin my oil but I really don't want to. Anyone know of any 12V low volume pump that would work for this application?

Thanks, Rick

You could maybe mount the oiler tank really close to muffler or another warm component and at least be sure to get a constant temp after the thing has been running a while. Or even install an engine block heater from JC Whitney right in the oiler tank for those really cold days... Then gravity and a petcock or other adjustable valve would do you right...

hope it's worth at least 2 cents.

-bearsfeat

The only problem I see with a drip setup is if you forget to shut it off, quitting time, lunch, whatever. Be nice if you could attach a small pump to the chain drive, only runs then when the chain is turning.

get a cheapy fuel pump from local auto parts store designed for carb.

make intake line plenty big, and downhill of oil tank.

take output line, and put a T into it. run one side of the T to a restrictor valve made from brass fitting screw type valve found at autoparts store.

put the other end to smaller jet , then short run to bar.

if oil is thick, jet and valve restricts flow.
if oil is thin (warm), jet and T restricts flow.

so pump is always pumping continuously, and some little bit bypasses to bar.

somewhere....mentioned.....

A crazy system of a small feedline from the engine. They were using the motor oil, and simply refilled the engine once in awhile. Actually it would work pretty well. Something else that would work pretty well would be a power steering pump with a bypass built into it (don't need 2500 psi to lube a bar).

Good luck!

-pat

I'm not 100% certain this would work, but think it will- use a small $12 marine bilge pump, just drop it in your tank. they don't supply a lot of pressure but will definately provide you with a flow. I imagine they would be tolerant of viscosity change too.

what about a small hydraulic gear pump? maybe power it off your main engine. with a flow control valve, you'd be all set.

There's already an oil reservior and pump on the machine. Just plumb into a pressure line with a small hose and run it to a flow control mounted convenient to your control panel for adjusting flow. Drill and tap the outer plate that holds the bar on for the oiler hose. Keep it simple rather than adding another pump and oil tank. The Dexron my machine uses does a great job lubricating the bar and chain and it doesn't use very much either

Latest posts

Back