No oiler adjustment on my 2017 Husqvarna 450 -20" ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 450 rancher and did the oiler swap. Worked fine and was a slight improvement. I still was not impressed with how much oil was on the bar. I also found the oil would leak between the rubber outlet and the back of the bar plate. I used a little oil resistant gasket maker there to improve it.

I have a 450 Rancher with a 20" bar. It seems to oil okay but slow to start. Before I start cutting I always squirt a bunch of 30 wt. on the bar and chain.

I did all the following things:
1. cleared the bar grove with a hacksaw blade
2. blew out the bar oil holes
3. emptied out the bar oil and sloshed around 1/2 cup of gas
4. put a rag over the bar oil cap hole and blew in compressed air
(gas came rushing out of the oiler hole and the sintered brass oil vent)
5. put a good sharpen the chain and made a clean assembly
6. filled up with fresh bar oil and gas-mix and went and started it up
7. while starting the saw just outside my garage door, the tip of the saw touched the concrete which made a spark igniting all the gas that I had spilled and sprayed all over the place creating an incredible explosion which sent me and my now running 450 flying 60 feet in the air allowing me the opportunity to trim the dead crown out of a nearby Suger Maple which I rode down to a safe landing
8. I cut some green and dry hardwood for a good 1/2 hour--being careful to not push it and checking no-load oil sling

The oiler showed some notable improvement--still seeing nice big curls of wood chips. Plus I would see maybe 1/3 more oil sling off the tip with a no load rev--still not what I like to see, but better. See the picture--does that look like reasonable oiling? each of those lines are a 5 second wide open rev. From the sound of a few posts here I think swapping an adjustable oiler from a 455 is probably not the best solution. I'll give it a month or so and then just get a whole new no-adjust oil pump and drive gear. Thanks for all the help! Jim

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 7
I had a 450 and a 455. Both had 18” bars. Bars did seem to get hot.

My friend loved my 450 so he got one too. Was always complaining how hot the bar got.

Definitely can’t keep the chain too tight.

Hello, All,

My 2017 Husqvarna 450 Rancher (20" bar) has no chain oiler adjustment--at least not one that I can find. The oiler does work but barely enough to keep the chain wet and the bar from over heating. I have to regularly stop, give it some revs until it throws a line of chain oil. I know i'm burning up chains and bars prematurly.

You can see from the pictures it has the "oiler adjustment icon" --but I see no adjustment screw. I can see down into the oiler pump at the icon. I have disassembled and cleaned and blown out debris and hit everything with some lithium grease--but oiler is slow to function properly.

Is this a factory setting that can't be adjusted? Has some part fallen out? Like I said, the oiler works--but just barely.

Any help? Jim
I have the same issue .. I'm drilling out the oiler out out orifice by a few thousandths. If that doesn't improve I am swapping pump to a 455 oiler it's all metal and adjustable . Requires different cover plate modified and drive sprocket hub and worm gear.. so it not just a ten dollar pump .. I have read all I can stand on this saw so if this doesn't work i may use the extended OPE warranty i purchased from Lowe's.. will update this afternoon after test .

I have the same issue .. I'm drilling out the oiler out out orifice by a few thousandths. If that doesn't improve I am swapping pump to a 455 oiler it's all metal and adjustable . Requires different cover plate modified and drive sprocket hub and worm gear.. so it not just a ten dollar pump .. I have read all I can stand on this saw so if this doesn't work i may use the extended *** warranty i purchased from Lowe's.. will update this afternoon after test .
Drilling out the orifice won't achieve much, you need to increase the angle on the top of the piston which will allow the piston to travel further & therefore pump more oil.
Swapping out with a 455 oiler would be better yet, & the same principle applies to get more out of the adjustable oilers. None of this will help if the filter or lines are plugged up with fines though

Back