Need Brushcutter Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyjupiter

Reaction score
Hello Woodcutters and Powertool Enthusiasts,
I stumbled across this forum doing research for a chainsaw purchase.
It's a very informative site and just enjoyable to see other people appreciate good tools. I am looking to purchase a brushcutter/trimmer mainly for use as a brushcutter (small saplings 1-2"..etc...) It probably won't even see much use as a trimmer at all. I don't want to sink 800-1200$ in a stihl fs 350-550 brushcutter but am willing to spend 400-600$ buckaroos. Does anyone have a certain model that has seen serious use without problems. I can't fully enjoy My Stihl ms361 without some walking room in my wooded forest. Hey also being only a couple years into my felling experience, whats the best way to prevent dead limbs from falling out of deadwoods when you go to cut them. (I have learned to wear a hardhat when a spearlike limb embedded a foot deep into the ground only 2-3 feet from me. I'm confident to a degree with the geometry and the tool respect, footing, wedging, notching, etc...... of felling....It's the raining deadwood that spooks me .....Any advice????
JUPITER

...I am looking to purchase a brushcutter/trimmer mainly for use as a brushcutter (small saplings 1-2"..etc...) It probably won't even see much use as a trimmer at all. I don't want to sink 800-1200$ in a stihl fs 350-550 brushcutter but am willing to spend 400-600$ buckaroos. Does anyone have a certain model that has seen serious use without problems...

...Hey also being only a couple years into my felling experience, whats the best way to prevent dead limbs from falling out of deadwoods when you go to cut them. (I have learned to wear a hardhat when a spearlike limb embedded a foot deep into the ground only 2-3 feet from me. .....Any advice????

You should do fine with an FS90. The FS80 could handle most of what you want to do but it comes with a flexible shaft. The solid shaft will do better long term for brushcutting. A good blade and keeping it sharp will be an important part of your setup.

As for "widowmakers", the only thing I know of is to look up while you are cutting. Make sure before you start the cut that the area is clear so that if needed you can quickly escape without getting tripped or tangled up. Maybe a couple whacks with a sledge will loosen some of the stuff. I just keep my eyes up.

I've got an old Stihl FS86 (straight shaft) with the Stihl brush blade (looks like a table saw blade).
I use the shoulder strap and a Husqvarna chainsaw helmet,face shield, ear protectors with steel toed boots; last weekend I cut about 2 acres of THICK brush, alder and ??? in about 4 hours.
This was all on a side hill and wore me out; I was vibrating for hours after I was done!...but that thing cut it all like butter.
The biggest stuff was about 3 inches across at the bottom, most was 1" - 1 1/2".
Of course that left me with 2 acres of felled brush...I decided to leave it where it fell and let it rot.
I would say without a doubt a straight shaft machine at least the size of mine (I don't know the CC's or HP) is required to make easy(ish) work of it.

Last edited:
I have a fs-250, i bought a beaver blade for it (A chainsaw chain that is put on a wheel) and it will cut 3 to 4 inch saplings. the trimmer head will cut all the high weeds that i have put on it. Plenty of power to do anything with. I have to maintain a ditch and the weeds get really high and thick, it cleans it up quick. When you get one be sure and get the harness and wear a good face shield. They will sling rocks at a high speed. Been hit in the leg with them and they hurt.

FS250 here also.
No complaints.:clap:

trimwire: never used,
3spike grass blade: all the way till 1/3' inch saplings etc.
sawblade: grass, brush, all the way. Just be carefull the first times you use it.
it can get pinched in a cut and will try to swing out.

1 comment
Dont be fooled by the 'i dont need the big one' you intend to clear brush, not trim edges. My father used to have an FS80, 'just for trimming a bit'. You start to cut a little more, add the hedge trimmer, add the chainsaw head etc Our dealer replaced the FS80 by an 86 for free after 3 repairs under warranty. (2x coupling and flexi shaft)

I think; you need a solid shaft, once anything more that an ambitious nettle needs to be cut. you dont want to retire on cutting brush do you? So you will cut with a blade. My experience; blade = solid shaft.

let us know!

Thanks for the replies........I had been eyeballin somethin around the fs250 range and felt like that was about what I might need for continued brushcutting use.......should be snatching one up soon will let all know how it works out. Thanks bobbyjupiter

I have an FS 90 and was afraid it would be a little light for the job.
I regularly cut small trees up to 2" with it. I run it all day long some times and have no problems with it. I use the chisel tooth blade that sharpens like a chainsaw chain. Any thing from the FS 90 up should be good for you.

Dolmar also Makes brushcutters, and although I haven't used one, If they are as good as their saws that would be worth looking at. :chainsaw:

something jumped to mind..

dont know how it is in your area but
If you go shopping for the cutter make sure you get a harness and not the single sling thing. Here you normally only get a harness with a pro-cutter and the 250 is not a pro.

I guarantee you that the harness is the only way to go if you want to cut for any serious time. been there done that and had the bruises from the simple sling....

Have fun and be safe!

something jumped to mind..

dont know how it is in your area but
If you go shopping for the cutter make sure you get a harness and not the single sling thing. Here you normally only get a harness with a pro-cutter and the 250 is not a pro.

I guarantee you that the harness is the only way to go if you want to cut for any serious time. been there done that and had the bruises from the simple sling....

Have fun and be safe!
Yep, Good advice.

I have a fs85 It is as sold shaft and it does great for light brush and weeds. For what you are describing I wouldn't go any smaller than a 250, also bicycle handles and a full harness are a must. Might want to use some sort of leg protection as well.

Cut safe

Back