Need guidance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthe

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need to do some welding on my gas splitter. I'm using flux core outside. What precautions do I need to take regarding the gas tank? I will be keeping my ground point as close as possible but is there other action I need to take for safety.

Thanks

danthe

When I'm welding near something sensitive I put a wet rag in between. Disapates heat and when they sizzle and dry out you know you've got it good and hot.
I would be more concerned about sparks on the hydraulic lines or the stainless bar. Wouldn't want a bur to damage the seals.
Have fun.

When I'm welding near something sensitive I put a wet rag in between. Disapates heat and when they sizzle and dry out you know you've got it good and hot.
I would be more concerned about sparks on the hydraulic lines or the stainless bar. Wouldn't want a bur to damage the seals.
Have fun.

Stainless bar?

Piston rod. Chrome plated but looks like stainless. Would have it fully retracted that's all.

If you don't have a welding blanket then a old wet quilt will help protect the plastic stuff ..weld splatter will melt through a gas tank pretty fast. And you definitely want the rod in or protected...splatter can pit the chrome or worse stick to it and destroy the wiper and seals on the first stroke.

If you don't have a welding blanket then a old wet quilt will help protect the plastic stuff ..weld splatter will melt through a gas tank pretty fast. And you definitely want the rod in or protected...splatter can pit the chrome or worse stick to it and destroy the wiper and seals on the first stroke.

Bought a new to me 89 F150. Under bed spare mount - I hate them with a passion. MOved spare to bed but that left all that hardware hanging loose iunderneath. Took to a local weld shop (don't have a torch myself) to get it cut off. He grabs torch fires it up and one of the owrkers there says "you're really not going to do that?". Assured there wasno problem he still left the building. I bet he is convinced that every car that crashes blows up.

I did leave a shop where I was working when the boss fired up a torch to cut up a 55 gal barrel.

Latest posts

Back