Need help buying a chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmjim

Reaction score
Going to start cutting fire wood to sell. This would be done after work and weekends for some extra income. Mainly cutting up left behind tree tops. Have looked at Husky's 353 / 359 / 357XP and 346XP.
Jonsered's 2152 / 2156
Stihl MS260 / MS361.

I really like the Husky 346XP, but I am just wondering if it or the 2152/MS260 are to light. I actually like the idea of a lighter saw because there will be a good amount of limbing to do.

Would be nice to buy two saws, but don't want to until I see how this little venture is going to go.

Is the 346XP enought saw.
Any recommendations on what to buy if I am only going to buy one saw right now?

Thanks,
Jim

First: Welcome to the board!

Second: Use the search feature to find info on all the saws you're interested in. Most of what you're asking has probably been answered already.

Third: What size wood, in diameter? Hard or softwood? Any splitting? You'll be spending most of your time splitting, stacking, and transporting, and relatively quite little cutting, even if you get a Poulan Wildthing. With those points in mind, I'd recommend getting the biggest baddest fastest cutting saw that you can still carry and safely use after a long day. And go ahead and find a smaller saw if it works out. We'll get ya hooked. :)

Learn how to sharpen chain and practice a lot. If you can't (or won't) file chain, your business venture will have a much smaller chance of success. Any saw will cut wood if the chain is sharp but none of them will cut well or run long if the chain is dull. When cutting firewood, you will most likely cut a lot of dirty logs which will dull the chain and necessitate frequent sharpening.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the reply 2Coilinveins.

The wood is hardwood. Most of it will have max diam. of 14". Some up to 18". But the majority is 12"-14".

tsmjim said:
Thanks for the reply 2Coilinveins.

The wood is hardwood. Most of it will have max diam. of 14". Some up to 18". But the majority is 12"-14".

Dolmar PS5100 w/18" bar. Open up the muffler and richen it up a tad.

This is an amazingly capable little saw.

Sorry guys, I guess I didn't make myself clear. It is a demo in that you can try before you buy. It is not for sale.

Here are the specs on the Dolmar.

PS-5100-S
Features:
• lightweight and compact for ease of operation
designed for general purpose applications: limbing, clearing, firewood
• powerful and durable for general forestry & cutting operations

Technical data:
Model: PS-5100-S
Engine displacement: 3.1 cu. in.
Power Rating: 2.9 kW
Power rating: 4 bHP
Fuel tank capacity: 15.6 oz
Oil tank capacity: 9 oz
Net weight without bar and chain: 11.2 lbs
Chain Pitch: 3/8 " (1/4 & .325 optional)
Optional guide bar: 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 "
Max. engine Speed (with bar and chain): 14,500 RPM
Standard guide bar: 18" .325 pitch.

Tsmjim; I’m not or pro or anything, but if your mostly cutting up tree tops at 14’’ I think something in the 3 cube size would work great. I have two saws for cutting my own wood; one is a Dolmar 7900EHP 20’’ & 32’’ bar and a Shindaiwa 488 16’’ bar for the small stuff.

I bought the shin from a local dealer in case I got the Dolmar pinched in a tree or any other problem. Having a backup never hurts anything.

I think the smaller pro saw will work for the wood your talking about cutting but after running my 7900 EHP I wouldn’t want to be without it.

If Dolmar ever gets the support in my area I would probably by the smaller one. My 488 Shin may not cut as fast as the 346,260 and PS5100 but it’s as reliable as the day is long.

rupedoggy said:
Hey TomyM why is the "demo" not for sale? Is it different? Your demo should be exactly the same as the one you sell. Mike

From what I read it's the saw they decided to keep at the shop for customers to run before they make decision. That would probably be most peoples take on a demo saw. By asking if it's "different," what exactly are you asking? Your query has an interesting tone.

I know from cutting my own firewood,that the cutting is the most fun part of the whole thing,and it goes the fastest of all the processes,splitting ,stacking.And cutting with saws with power makes a chore seem enjoyable,And my 7900 is the way to go.I would also recommend you go with the most powerful saw that you can afford,and buy different size bars for different tasks that you have to perform

Thatś right. Cutting of the wood is the fun, all the next is real work with firewood:cry:

Latest posts

Back