Need help choosing a log splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought a 28 ton Huskee with the Honda motor from TSC last week. Burnt 3 tanks of gas through it and split about 2 cords. I spent all day yesterday splitting a 38 inch White Oak that has been struck by lightning and standing dead for almost a year. The limbs were no problem. When I got to the trunk, it split everything with no problem. Slowed down some on the really notty sticks. I split the whole tree up and left nothing. There were some pretty big and rough pieces in there. Some of the nots were 15 inches.

The ones that had bad nots and would not split, it sheared them straight off. The last 8 or 10 cuts were all that two men could do to wrestle around and flip over into the splitter.

I have been using a homemade splitter for years and cant go back to it now. The 28 Ton Huskee splits everything that I put in it. Forks, nots and all.

Great fuel mileage, the Honda starts easy, and relatively quiet.

Only two complaints.

#1. Mainly the exhaust blows straight back on the right side of the splitter. If
you're using the lever, it's not bad. If you're on the other side, it blows right in your face. I'm gonna have to fabricate a 90 on there before I use it much more.

#2. On bigger wood the wedge could be bigger. If the wood is straight it's no problem. If the wood is tapered to the top, sometimes the wedge doesn't catch especially if the outer 2 inches of the wood is rotten. If the wood is tapered to the bottom, it won't catch on the foot and will push the splitter up in the air. The foot and wedge could be bigger, but it is only a problem in real big wood.

Overall I'm very happy with this splitter and it should be all I need for a long time since firewood is only a part time affair with me. The most I cut will probably be 10-15 cords per year.

There are some species of wood that are much harder than others to split... live oak is one of the most dense, knottiest types of wood in North America (it also puts out the most BTUs and burns a long time). We have them down here in the south and they are hard to split. I don't think there was anything wrong with my friend's 35 ton Huskee. It was brand new and I monitored the hydraulic fluid levels. It worked great until we tried to split the crotches and knots of a live oak trunk. We thought it would split anything, but instead we split the splitter by breaking the welds on the toe plate.

That doesn't mean I don't like Huskee splitters. I may buy a 22 ton myself when I save enough money. I just want people to be aware of the limitations of the equipment they are buying so that they can make the most informed decision possible.

Thanks for all the replies and information. I went to TSC today and got the 22 ton splitter. Got it home and split for about an hour before I ran out of daylight. It seems like a great machine. Now its time to get this woodpile split. :chainsawguy:

Thanks for all the replies and information. I went to TSC today and got the 22 ton splitter. Got it home and split for about an hour before I ran out of daylight. It seems like a great machine. Now its time to get this woodpile split. :chainsawguy:
Sweet! Enjoy :chainsawguy:

Awesome. I hope you like it. Give us a report after you get that woodpile split. I am debating if I should get that splitter or save more for something like a timberwolf.

splitter

i seen both and worked on both i would get the iron and oak they seem to be better just my 2 cents i am a tw6 die hard good luck

I also have the Huskee 22T splitter. Works great!

From what I hear, the company (Speeco) stands behind them pretty well.

I also have the 22 ton huskee and I love it. I have had it around 2 mth and me and a buddy split around 6 cord so far. One cord was the pile of uglies and knots we had around and so far if it did not split it, it just sheared it off. I love it and would recomend it to any one who is splitting it for home use. For the price it cant be beat. I have split oak,walnut,mulberry,locust,and maple.

huskie 22 v. I & O 20 ton fast cycle

Ok all, If I may ask while you are on the topic, i'mconsidering a 20 ton 8 sec cycle iron & Oak versus a stock TSC / home depot 22 ton. Say the 22 is on sale for 999 and I could grab a year old I & O for 1300. Which way would you go?

Back