Need help choosing a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IronDuck

IronDuck

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm not in to big of a hurry when I drop a tree that big. I don't like to cut them when they get that big, but lately I've been finding a lot of dead ones that are about that size that need to come down. I had to buy a bigger log splitter to handle them too. I'm gonna look for a 372xpg today-- What's the difference between a 372 xpg and an xpw?

SawWitch

SawWitch

Addicted to ArboristSite
IronDuck said:
I'm not in to big of a hurry when I drop a tree that big. I don't like to cut them when they get that big, but lately I've been finding a lot of dead ones that are about that size that need to come down. I had to buy a bigger log splitter to handle them too. I'm gonna look for a 372xpg today-- What's the difference between a 372 xpg and an xpw?
The xp is the basic halv wrap version, the xpg is the same with heated handles and carb, and the xpw has a full wrap handle - but no heating.

The current Baileys versions of the 372 also has a larger bore and more displacement, but not more power, as it probably is more restricted elsewhere (according to the Troll - he is right behind me).

Last edited:

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
SawWitch said:
The xp is the basic halv wrap version, the xpg is the same with heated handles and carb, and the wpw has a full wrap handle - but no heating.

The current Baileys versions of the 372 also has a larger bore and more displacement, but not more power as it is more restricted elsewhere (according to the Troll - he is right me).

just wondering, has xpgw/xpwg ever been made?

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
I have a year and a half old 385xp for a resonable price in the trading post if anyone is interested in a nice big saw in decent condition....

I like the 372, but comparing a 70cc saw of today to one of 15-20 years ago isn't fair. The newer saws are lighter and rather "peaky" compared to the old torque monsters... The 372 is a great saw, but not one that will run a 28" in hardwoods all the time....24" is about the max I would run on mine. I have had a 28" on it a time or two, but it is all but fast in the best hardwoods.

Last edited:
1wildthing

1wildthing

ArboristSite Member
I would think a 372 would do fine. It will just be a little slow on the real big stuff. It Might be nice to have two saws though. Say a 390 and a 353. One for the big wood, and one that will handle all of the small-medium stuff, and weighs a lot less. But the 372 would be a good compromise if you can only afford one.

Latest posts