Need help finding a firewood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to get my dad a firewood splitter for christmas. He's in his 70's and still loves to get the saws out, but hand splitting is getting hard for him. I got laid off from work last summer so money is an issue. He is only splitting what he can burn at his house for the winter, with nat gas prices being so high, trying to keep them warm for the winter.

What is the best splitter for personal home use around $500 or less? Or is there no such thing in that price range?

Thanks

Tom

You're not going to find anything new at that price, and darned lucky if you can get anything used. Power splitters starting at 22 ton/ 5 hp might be had for $650.

Anything for less is usually a sale through word of mouth where the seller doesn't want to hassle with advertising etc....

Best strategy might be to ask around and hope someone knows someone who knows someone whose uncle died and has one in the barn back behind....

Thompson1600 wrote:

"has anyone tried the Fisch 2 HP electric model for 399? I believe it says it's 4 tons."

I doubt if 4 tons would be sufficient to split much wood. But hey, if it is, I may as well rent out my mother-in-law to stand on a few wedges.....her blood type is Ragu Thick'n'Chunky

thompson 1600,
Do you or your Dad have or have access to a tractor with hydraulics on it? If so, Northern Tool has a nice one that runs off a tractor for $449.99. I saw one at Tractor Supply recently also.
If you don't have a tractor,this message should self-destruct .
B.S.

Just a thought. $500 will buy a lot of time on a splitter at the local rent-all places. Drawback is that you have to use it steady for awhile to split your pile vice having your own and able to work when and how you want to.

I too am approaching 70 at light speed but still hand splitting for the excercise. I can see that I will be resurrecting my hydraulic splitter in another year or two.

Harry K

Back