Need help ID'ing new to me Stihl chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImQuattro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a Stihl chainsaw today that has all the badging wore off on the covers.
Looks used hard but has good compression and will run on spray -rebuilding carb now. Needs some AV mounts and TLC.
Pulled the carb and I find a BING 48 carb -new one for me, never seen a BING carb -let alone one in a Stihl. Claims to be made in Germany though... cross ref'd the carb and looks to be found on older 038's

Called the local Stihl dealer and gave him the serial # on the case by the muffler which he tossed into his computer and he came back saying it wasn't a valid # and that he'd have to call Stihl HQ to get more info.

Serial # on the case: 119101808
I'm guessing an 038?? but not sure whether is a Mag or even a Mag II.
Any help is appreciated!!

They put Bing carbs on older German dirt bikes too. The old man has them on a Maico and a Zundapp.

Pulled the cylinder. Scoring on the intake side of cylinder and piston.
Measured the piston at 47.74mm. Not matching 038 replacement parts...?
Need to know what this thing is to order replacement parts....

Looks like genuine Stihl cylinder and piston, but 47.7mm for a piston.... not sure what to order for it....

Attachments

• IMG_7898.JPG
    IMG_7898.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7899.JPG
    IMG_7899.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7900.JPG
    IMG_7900.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7901.JPG
    IMG_7901.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 9
roger that. I've en reading up on it. Looks correct. Wondering how difficult to make it a 52....

roger that. I've en reading up on it. Looks correct. Wondering how difficult to make it a 52....

The Bing didn't come on 038 saws until the 52mm magnum, but it seems you have a "Frankensaw" as the original 038 had 48 mm piston. Is handle/fuel tank metal or plastic?

You can make it into a 52 mm Mag with a P/C kit and some basic tools.

Before you order parts find out what killed it. Intake side is usually ingestion of debris or a bearing let loose.

Handle/tank are plastic.
Thanks for the help, going for full rebuild.

Latest posts

Back