Need help on building a bench!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Teddy.Scout

I am currently starting a work work bench for saws.
I see corners and small sections of some benches in here, but was wondering if you guys could give me a a good picture to see and get some ideas!

Thanks guys for any help. [keep in mind it will be a dedicated small engine (chainsaw) bench.]

Oh ya, I am in the actual framing process now! Misses let me splurge on some some materials. 8' X 2' counter top and a pile of lumber to start!

Here is the counter top and will keep the progress coming.
attachment.php

My opinion only.
Wood benches are great for a handy man
or carpenters.
Steel benches are great for mechanics.
If you are going to build a bench from
wood at least put a steel top on it.

Lee

Here is a pic of mine not a good shot of it but, its angle iron with plywood top and storage area most of the saws were out working. The square tubing on the left goes up to a light and has two plugin in it. It is on castors.

On another note the two 026 and long bar I took from another member here. (I forgot his name.)

4588078420_b06831af29.jpg

I went to Home Depot, and in the lumber section there was a kit for a bench. It was made of hurricane braces, real simple and straight forward assembly. You can adjust the plans to any size you want. Sturdy too could probably work on a 454 and not bother it.

My opinion only.
or carpenters.

Lee

Mine has metal on one end bolted down and on the other side two vices (spelling) to hold saws.

My opinion only.
or carpenters.

Lee

It is industrial formica top used for laboratories and such.
Same as a kitchen counter just a tad thicker.
It has always worked well on chainsaws at the neighbors and seen a couple others here with counter top benches. Plus it is staying in the garage and want it to look half way decent.

I am going to have a back on it, that more then likely will be peg board.

Thanks Super!!!!!! HEIGHT!!

I am 5'10" so was thinking 34" to the work surface?

Its embarrassingly messy but this was made with the kit from Home Depot.

attachment.php

Thanks again!

Mine is a tad low wish I had gone up a tad I need to measure it tomorrow.

That is pretty much exactly what I plan on building! (will try kicking it up a notch, with shelves and lights ect.)The back will be shelves for the saws and chain as I plan on keeping it in the middle of one bay. The other is hers!!! LOL!!! THANKS BRIAN!! Repped!

I almost wasnt going to put up the peg board up but I dont know what I would do without it. If I cant clear out enough space I want to build another.

We were looking around in Sears last weekend and they had a kinda nice stainless topped modular bench setup. Wasn't too impressed about the base, but that stainless top was nice. Top alone was over $200, so doubt I'll get one soon. Bench here at the house is a simple all pine construction including the top. Every time I use it I wish it had a metal top. The formica sounds like it may be a good cost-effective idea though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan

I like the shelves idea, and the lights have been on the to do list for along time. I like the counter top, I built mine before I started working on chainsaws, so I used cabinet grade plywood. The surface is still nice and smooth but there is a big black spot in the middle from all the oil and grease. And I know what you mean about your bay. It seems I keep losing space to baby stuff no longer in use. Good luck with the bench hope it turns out like you want it. Looks like you got some good ideas.

Teddy.Scout

There were already threads on ideas how to build working benches. As always, I suggest you built your working bench in metal.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=126876

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=124730

I started the thread to get a bit more pics then the 5-8 I saw that were really geared to saws.
I went thru a couple hundred posts here. saw those threads.
heimannm(the one against the wall), cranes and ModifiedMarks benches are what I am really liking and shooting for.
I wanted 8' so the craftsman bench ( as lesorubcheek mentioned) was out.

I completely agree with the metal! But decided on the pre-made counter top type! Time will tell if I screwed up. If I end up want or regretting the decision, I can pop it off and install a sub bench and pop on a metal top. I don't plan on any heavy rebuilds(my saw mechanics are not there yet.). Just the reassembly and detailed cleaning of my trophies and shelf QUEENS!!!!!

Kinda hoping Brad shows a pic of his!
I want to be able to sit(work) in a organized place dedicated to my saws.

As they say on TV "This is where the magic happens"
Just a old metal office desk, it weighs a couple hundred pounds, and best of all it was free.
Between, pegboard, the tool box, hanging lights, and desk I think this work space might have cost me 50$
The toolbox is my dad's old True Value Master mechanic brand that I completely re-did to to match my Craftsman box.
DSCN0050-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back