Need help on building a bench!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking REAL nice TS. :clap::clap:

Thanks Carl!!!
I need a nice bench and clean shop to keep up with your recent builds and clean ups! You have been killing me with the last 2! I have a good many that need a good bench(operating table) to do a thorough job on!!!

Looking good my friend. :clap:

Thanks Wiggles!!!
I really need to get it done, but hate to not truly finish it!
Want a really user friendly bench to do clean ups and try my hands at a true complete builds!!! I have done the fixes and repairs, but REALLY want to do some right down COMPLETE REBUILDS!!! I have the tools and Manuals(plus AS). I just want a nice bench.

Thanks!!!

Had a good night on the bench!
Got the electrical started and finished putting in the(retro fitting) the craftsman drawers I got off C-list for CHEAP!!! BUT, It was a pain! Had to line up 10 drawers that were made to be added to a side cabinet and attached to metal. I figured out how to retro fit them, just didn't anticipate the time!!!
But they are in and storage is key!! LOL. Now I will be trying to finish the electrical and fit in the side by side drawers I have here. Should be simple, but that's what I thought about the Craftsman drawers!!!

These are the drawers that about made me pull my hair out!
I would have been better off just building them instead of figuring out how to go from a the brackets they have to a wood frame! Hind sight is 20/20!
Keep in mind,I have always installed my own home cabinets and even built a couple vanities! These buggers just kicked and spit in my face to make it work! LOL!!!)
attachment.php

All in all they came out nice!!! But more importantly work!(they slide real nice and will work out even better then I expected!
attachment.php

This is the last of the underside storage (just going the frame them)
attachment.php

Want to leave a good amount of room in the middle so if any thing else come up, I can do a bit more customizing!!
attachment.php

That's a good idea!

My opinion only.
Wood benches are great for a handy man
or carpenters.
Steel benches are great for mechanics.
If you are going to build a bench from
wood at least put a steel top on it.

Lee

I'm going to cover the wooden bench I made a few years back as it took me a long time to make and was one of the things I built all by myself and was happy with the outcome.I have had mechanical things on there and it is taking a beating from it.I would make a wooden bench with a removable metal top.I saw an awesome metal work bench at the garage show lately.It has a 3/8 metal plate for a top,box tubing frame with gussets and big steel caster wheels.Price $250.00 I'm pretty sure you could not buy the metal for that price.
Lawrence

I'm going to cover the wooden bench I made a few years back as it took me a long time to make and was one of the things I built all by myself and was happy with the outcome.I have had mechanical things on there and it is taking a beating from it.I would make a wooden bench with a removable metal top.I saw an awesome metal work bench at the garage show lately.It has a 3/8 metal plate for a top,box tubing frame with gussets and big steel caster wheels.Price $250.00 I'm pretty sure you could not buy the metal for that price.
Lawrence

I agree with Leeha as well petesoldsaw,
But this laminate is a couple mils.(I think 8 mils.) thicker then a HomeDepot(hardware store) counter top! I have been forced to do a couple on the fly repairs on the bench the way it is, and as of right now I am MORE then happy with it! I believe the metal bench cleans up and prevents spills the best! But I have to admit the industrial conter top I am using is no different in my opinion!(my smaller bench has a stainless steel top and have a good comparison) plus I was able to get the back splash, and front lip(which is minute) just enough to keep them keys, clips, nuts, washers and dodads from rolling off! I think I will be just fine!(Time will tell!!!)
BUT, just in case I have a double counter sub base, so if I want to at a later time go to a metal top it is just 8 screws away!!!

I have just started building me another work room on top of my other saw room in the barn ,just to do the clean assembly work on the saws i build ,away from the dirty environment of grinding and cleaning of the saws. it is not finished yet but i think it will be in a few weeks or so.The stairs are build from logs i have cut on my Logosol sawmill.The white work bench are from a dental shop and the other one from an office .
hobbyrom-2001.jpg

hobbyrom-2003.jpg

hobbyrom-2013.jpg

THANKS bonden!!! :cheers:

Alright! You got me beat!!!
That is sweat set up! That will be the VIP saw build room!! LOL!!!
You need to hang a couple vintage monster saws up, so as you walk up the stairs you enter the lab!! LOL!!!
I thought it was going to take me a 2-3 weeks ends! LOL! more like 2-3 months!
You have the right idea as I tried! use as much pre-build stuff(materials) as possible, it helps with the whole assembly part!

Looks awesome! Keep us posted. I think others will want to see different ideas, and appreciate you taking the time to post pics! Plus the before and after photos are awesome!! Just hope I make it to the after part!!!

Man, you need to come on down and build me a bench. My 2x4's and plywood is looking mighty crappy compared to your's....

Wiggles if I knew how long it was actually going to take I would have just kept what I had or gone to (Grainger or picked up 2 Craftsman work benches and just joined them!!!
But so far it is looking SWEET! just WANT TO FINISH IT!!! ERRRRRRRR

Mine started out with #20 2X4's, counter, 5 sheets of ply wood(and a bunch of pieces parts)!!!!! Then add a a gang of hours!!!!

Wiggles if I knew how long it was actually going to take I would have just kept what I had or gone to (Grainger or picked up 2 Craftsman work benches and just joined them!!!
But so far it is looking SWEET! just WANT TO FINISH IT!!! ERRRRRRRR

Mine started out with #20 2X4's, counter, 5 sheets of ply wood(and a bunch of pieces parts)!!!!! Then add a a gang of hours!!!!

Best thing about building your own bench is it suits your purposes. Looks great after your done with wiggles you need to come to Fla. and do some building in my garage. I pay with premium beer!!:clap::clap:

Best thing about building your own bench is it suits your purposes.

VERY TRUE. The one I built in my old shop was set up at first for reloading and gun work, then one side of it got used as a chainsaw bench... but the corner nearest my reloading bench I had jigs made to attach my case trimmer with on steel pin hoding it solidly in place, the rest magnetic from underneath and the table had a smooth unaltered top.

I feeel like building all new benches in the shop I'm building just so I can redesign stuff.

Best thing about building your own bench is it suits your purposes. Looks great after your done with wiggles you need to come to Fla. and do some building in my garage. I pay with premium beer!!:clap::clap:
small manly stature

I do like BEER! But it would probably take me the same time as it is now to build. Which equals ALOT of beers!! LOL!

VERY TRUE. The one I built in my old shop was set up at first for reloading and gun work, then one side of it got used as a chainsaw bench... but the corner nearest my reloading bench I had jigs made to attach my case trimmer with on steel pin hoding it solidly in place, the rest magnetic from underneath and the table had a smooth unaltered top.

I feeel like building all new benches in the shop I'm building just so I can redesign stuff.

I can only hope it works out the way I plan or at least close!!! LOL!!

TS - great use of found items. Love the craftsman drawers. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some.

Lookin good Teddy.
I do like the craftsman drawers.
You never have enough room for
parts and tools.
Nice job.

Lee

Thanks Carl and Lee!!!
The biggest problem with those drawers is that they were made to go into a side cabinet bin for the large Craftsman tool box. They were designed to be put in pre-drilled slots on the metal front. They were flimsy and were a pain to align. I took every bit of patience I had to retro fit into the cabinet. Also I grab a good handful of nuts-bolts. Ended up using 40 sets!!! The front bolts are stainless. Ya I went high end!!(That was all I had left! LOL!)

Well it will be a day or 2. till I can chop on it hard again. But will keep the progress up!
Man do I want to finish it!!!!

To day i went to a flea market in my neighborhood and was lucky and got me a small box rack to put some saw parts in, i put in a door in the room to, i just have to get me a new chair to sit in and some more shelf's
hobbyrom-2021.jpg

hobbyrom-2019.jpg

Latest posts

Back