Need help on building a bench!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BloodOnTheIce! (can't hit you with rep again so soon!)

I only hope to get that organized! I am hoping the bench will do it! But realize it is up to me! LOL!!!!

I'm pretty picky about my "mise en place" it's a leftover from my days of cooking.
Everything has to be well laid out, and well lit.
"Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance."

As they say on TV "This is where the magic happens"
Just a old metal office desk, it weighs a couple hundred pounds, and best of all it was free.
Between, pegboard, the tool box, hanging lights, and desk I think this work space might have cost me 50$
The toolbox is my dad's old True Value Master mechanic brand that I completely re-did to to match my Craftsman box.
DSCN0050-1.jpg

Vrey nice!!

You can always fit a metal top over the timber further down the road if needs be.

A good backboard with a shelf or two is handy.

A small raised edge around the outside helps prevent things from rolling off also.

Good dedicated lighting for the work bench helps immensely.

I built my dedicated "saw" bench from wood, nice heavy top made from 2x6 lumber, with another layer of MDF on that and a replaceable hardboard top. I added a couple of drawers to allow me to keep some items close at hand.

I like the wooden bench as it provides just a bit of cushion, and helps damp vibration when I'm running a saw on it.

The one behind this one (against the wall) is not so handy for working since it is only 16" or so deep, doesn't leave a lot of room to work. Beside, I like the "walk around" capability of the free standing bench.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Somewhere I have the plans for a similar bench in .PDF format if anyone is interested.

Mark

I built my dedicated "saw" bench from wood, nice heavy top made from 2x6 lumber, with another layer of MDF on that and a replaceable hardboard top. I added a couple of drawers to allow me to keep some items close at hand.

I like the wooden bench as it provides just a bit of cushion, and helps damp vibration when I'm running a saw on it.

The one behind this one (against the wall) is not so handy for working since it is only 16" or so deep, doesn't leave a lot of room to work. Beside, I like the "walk around" capability of the free standing bench.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Somewhere I have the plans for a similar bench in .PDF format if anyone is interested.

Mark

That is a really nice shop you have there. I would like to be half that organized.

Thanks Mark!
The walk around idea is great!
I can see that being next. Baby steps first! kinda like your tool wall, kinda want to get the needed tools hung close by for easy grab.

Aussie1, +1 on the edge!!
The top I got has that slight mound or raised roller edge.
I think it should work well. A counter top from HomeDepot or Lowes is $70-90 for 8'. I paid right around $60. It is real similar to my neighbors set-up which I have come to like. easy clean up and not to deep.

It doesn't matter much what I build mine out of, it's usually only used for storage anyway. I've turned my garage into a warehouse and it only took a couple of years. Now I don't have much room to work on anything in the garage, so maybe I'll work outside, weather permitting.

That is the ideal top you have there for a bench Matt. I wouldn't make my workbench out of steel if it was given to me. I would obviously use steel for a fab/ weld table, but I don't like steel tops for engine stuff. Just me maybe.

Ill find a couple pics of my table and post them up. My mind works a bit different than most, but I like things keeping things seperated. I don't grind chains on my work bench, and I don't weld on it either. My lathe has its own dedicated stand, and I bought a drill press stand to use my grinder, and welder on. Not hard to find a small piece of plate for a drill press stand if when needed for those welding projects.

It doesn't matter much what I build mine out of, it's usually only used for storage anyway. I've turned my garage into a warehouse and it only took a couple of years. Now I don't have much room to work on anything in the garage, so maybe I'll work outside, weather permitting.

This is my last hope!
Marks pictures above are killing me!
There is no excuse for it not to look like that!
My garage sounds like yours palmer! I am doing best! LOL!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Mark, after seeing pics of your shop I think I won't be taking any pics of mine! I don't know how you keep it so clean looking! Of course I have used mine for everything for the last 40 or more years and that takes a toll on workplaces. Mine's pretty junked up but this year after retiring I'll have a little more time to organize.

Very clean! procarbine2k1!
That's what I am shooting for! Clean and organized!! I am jealous. I said it once before, nice display and collection!!!

palmer! "weather permitting" LOL! I had to take a break! it is raining out side and I was trying to make room to cut plywood in front of the garage! LOL!!!

Guys I hate to tell ya this but Mark's shop looks even better than the pictures. It is truly the finest shop I have ever seen. I swear that it's cleaner than most kitchens. He has more parts than most saw shops, and he knows most everything about saws. If you ever get the chance it's well worth seeing. He could charge admission just to look at all the old Mac's on the high shelves around the walls. Also they're not just saws to look at, he uses them, I won't even get started on his wood pile. JR

I suggest that you make the bench tall enough that you can work at it without having to bend your back or your knees. This is typically a little less than elbow height if you are standing. If you want to sit at the bench buy a bar stool. I would recommend that you invest in a rubber mat or thick carpet to stand on as well. The anti-fatigue mats work.

In terms of tops, Formica will be fine. It will last a long time. The one on my bench is well over ten years old.

I suggest that you make the bench tall enough that you can work at it without having to bend your back or your knees. This is typically a little less than elbow height if you are standing. If you want to sit at the bench buy a bar stool. I would recommend that you invest in a rubber mat or thick carpet to stand on as well. The anti-fatigue mats work.

In terms of tops, Formica will be fine. It will last a long time. The one on my bench is well over ten years old.

+1 on the bar stool!
+1 on the elbow height!!!!

:cheers: on the formica top!

I have a bunch of horse stall mats that are great for that, I use now!!!

THANKS JUSTSAWS!!!!

Yep just a joke, got the idea from a member here forgot his name. I just had to have one of my own.

Thanks for the pics and ideas Some good ones in this thread.

Guys I hate to tell ya this but Mark's shop looks even better than the pictures. It is truly the finest shop I have ever seen. I swear that it's cleaner than most kitchens. He has more parts than most saw shops, and he knows most everything about saws. If you ever get the chance it's well worth seeing. He could charge admission just to look at all the old Mac's on the high shelves around the walls. Also they're not just saws to look at, he uses them, I won't even get started on his wood pile. JR

That sure doesn't describe my building. I am working on a massive cleanup right now though but it will never look like Mark's workshop.

anybody try using wood flooring ie SYP or T&G oak as a bench top and finishing like a regular floor? how does it hold up to gas and oil?
after some time it might have some real character or a real f#cking mess?

Latest posts

Back