Need Help Piecing Together an 070 or 090 Stihl...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellas -

Upgrading my modest chainsaw collection from Poulan (hey, I'm from Louisiana, what do you expect?) to vintage Stihl. I have an 038 Magnum on the way and am working a deal on an 028 Wood Boss. However, I need something at the other end of the scale -- the 090. Before you ask, no, I don't necessarily need an 090. But I damn sure want one! If for nothing else just to piece together and tinker with. Same as I do with vintage vises, vintage muscle cars, vintage tools, etc.

My lovely wife, bless her heart, still doesn't understand my addiction to tools and mechanical things. As such, it would be difficult to scrounge up the $1000 to buy a nice used one and then sneak it into the garage. However, if I piece one together, it might be more expensive, but I have a better chance of getting away with it.

Which brings me to my question -- I put an ad up here looking for a project 090 or at least some parts to get me on my way. In a perfect world, someone would have one taken apart in a corner of their garage that just needs some TLC and reassembly, for a reasonable price. I'm not going to hold my breath on that. So, if you were putting one together with all OEM parts, where would you start? The major assemblies? And what parts would be difficult/impossible/very expensive to find?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

A nice one would be mighty fine for some folks, but it's just not in the budget right now. I also enjoy scrounging for parts, putting something together, etc.

Also edited my post to indicate that a 070 is a possibility as well -- from your post in the Trading Post, I understand the 070 can be upgraded to 137 cc's just by adding the 090 jug/piston.

Thanks

I ended up picking up a 070 from eBay.de (Germany). Set me back $475. Said to be a good running saw. Time to start scrounging or parts - I know I need a clutch (OEM ones aren't cheap!), cylinder and piston kit (OEM is quite expensive; what are the good ones? Meteor?). I'll go with another bar and chain of course. What else needs to be on my shopping list? Carb is different too, right? Maybe an upgrade to electronic ignition?

Here are a few pics. What do you think? Can you see anything that's obviously jacked up or needs to be replaced?

Are you talking about the nice one on subito for 720 euro? I did see that one.

That was it. That seller (or another one living in exactly the same town) routinely has large Stihl's in very good or even excellent conditions. Earlly this year he had two brand new MS660's still in the original cardboard boxes.

Latest posts

Back